Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River Cleanup  (Read 4042 times)

firebird

Coquitlam River Cleanup
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:19:09 AM »

I haven't noticed anything about a cleanup this year. If anyone wants help to get it off the ground, I'm available.

ThatDeafGuy

Re: Coquitlam River Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »

I think in the past Riverside Fly and Tackle used to take the lead on the cleanup, but now the shop has closed  :(

I'm interested in helping out with the clean up too!  I'm a few blocks away from the river.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:29:02 AM »

I think in the past Riverside Fly and Tackle used to take the lead on the cleanup, but now the shop has closed  :(

I'm interested in helping out with the clean up too!  I'm a few blocks away from the river.
I as do some others on the Chilliwack Vedder River pick up garbage on most of their fishing trips,every little bits helps. As well an organized cleanup is not always needed if we do that, especially on small rivers.

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:21:17 AM »

I as do some others on the Chilliwack Vedder River pick up garbage on most of their fishing trips,every little bits helps. As well an organized cleanup is not always needed if we do that, especially on small rivers.

It's hard to take out washer and dryer machines, truck bumpers and bed frames out of the river by yourself... there are many abandoned and active  homeless camps all along the river that have left lots of heavy garbage.  I walk the river a couple times a week with my dog, It's the really big garbage that is the issue...honestly it looks like there has been a reduction in the amount of small garbage being dumped.  If you go up river past pipeline and David that's where lots of the heavy stuff gets dumped. I was pulling a tire out of the river the other week...brought it up to my truck and saw 4 guys dumping a bedroom in a bush...dirt balls. Like if your going to dump garbage why would you go out of your way to dump it in a river. Why not just take It behind Canadian tire or Walmart if your going to dump it, not the best solution but in a river? Giver yer head a shake.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:24:41 AM by Shinny »

firebird

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:51:42 AM »

I've heard that representatives of the Steelhead Society of BC are looking into organizing a cleanup for the Coquitlam.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »

Might try the watershed society

http://www.coquitlamriverwatershed.ca/

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 06:57:04 PM »

The program is in need of a few new sponsors

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

It's hard to take out washer and dryer machines, truck bumpers and bed frames out of the river by yourself... there are many abandoned and active  homeless camps all along the river that have left lots of heavy garbage.  I walk the river a couple times a week with my dog, It's the really big garbage that is the issue...honestly it looks like there has been a reduction in the amount of small garbage being dumped.  If you go up river past pipeline and David that's where lots of the heavy stuff gets dumped. I was pulling a tire out of the river the other week...brought it up to my truck and saw 4 guys dumping a bedroom in a bush...dirt balls. Like if your going to dump garbage why would you go out of your way to dump it in a river. Why not just take It behind Canadian tire or Walmart if your going to dump it, not the best solution but in a river? Giver yer head a shake.
Go and see the City of Coquitlam and see if they will get a crew together to get the heavy stuff.

Shinny

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »

Each day I walk my dog on that river it turns into my own river cleanup. Honestly some of the homeless camps are just filthy...

Shinny

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »

Pretty disappointed when I saw this while bike riding today on Burke mountain... obviously Coquitlam river chum poachers.