Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drennans - yes or no?  (Read 8314 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Drennans - yes or no?
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:02:39 PM »

Hey guys.  I'm new with the drift rod.  Anyway - I was wondering what you all think of Drennan floats.  Do they provide an advantage?  I suspect that they might in low/clear conditions.  I'm not so sure for pocket water or water with limited visibility.  What's your take on this?  Are they worth 6 - 7 dollars each?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Drennans - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 05:09:44 PM »

Drenans are superior because they are much more senstive. The slightest tap will cause them to take a swim. As far as color is concerned I've never really thought about this but I'm sure there's alot of other debris floating in a river that a float could be confused for. The only drennans I ever use are the ones I find.
Actions speak louder than words.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »

Well i guess that provide a little bit of an advantage in low clear water, and they are a bit more sensitive than the foam ones.  They are between $6.99 and $7.99.  Are they worth it though???  Not in my opinion.  All it takes is one hook set when the fish isn't there and you more than likely have a broken piece of plastic on your line, with my luck the float usually comes flyin back and breaks on the rocks.  If you want a more durable float that still has the feel, I would suggest a balsa float.  I use them for steelhead and have found that they work great with a few slight mods.  But you get the most bang for your buck with foam dink floats.  They come in many lengths as well.  I use 4" ones for coho and spring and find that they sit just right in the water and they are pretty sensitive as well.  They also last a heck of a long time.  Get the straight through ones though, and use a toothpick to hold it in position.  That's my view on it anyways, and I have no problems with it.  Besides the foam ones are a buck!!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Bone Cross

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »

If you set up a foam float with the right amount of weight you can get the sensitivity that you want. You just have to play around a bit to find the correct amount of weight that gives it the sensitivity that you want. ;)
from a Redneck point of View!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:39:47 PM »

im a balsa wood fan but you can get pretty mucht eh same results by taking a foam float and tapering the bottom by shaving it. then take a lighter to it to seal the foam.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »

I definitely not recommend using drennans in fast water stretches unless you like donating them to the Fish Gods. Drennans are overpriced in my opinion. I have used foam, cork and balsa floats and they all work. Foam floats can be made very cheaply.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »

Yes Drennans are very nice, but you can loose them just as easy as a $.99 dink float. I use Drennans over spooky coho and steelhead. I've been using my cork "Randog" floats lately, which reminds me I have to donate one to C.G. as I hear he's lost the last one I provided ::) ;D.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 07:02:22 PM »

I like fishing downstream from people like Chris and Rodney.  ;D Never have to buy another Drennan ;D

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 07:11:04 PM »

Your pretty smart Fish my friend.

I find TONS of floats every year, I think I have 4-5 Safeway bags full of them. I'm not sure why I keep them though. ???

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 08:18:09 PM »

ill take one of those cork ones off of you randy. I wont be using it on the vedder tho lol. only for our special place.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »

i,m also new to the drennans what do you guys use to keep it in place someone told me float stops and someone else says tooth pick the round type i like the toothpick idea just cuz it's cheap and easy  :)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 09:13:39 PM »

Your pretty smart Fish my friend.

I find TONS of floats every year, I think I have 4-5 Safeway bags full of them. I'm not sure why I keep them though. ???

I could take those off your hands, if you dont want them  ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »

i,m also new to the drennans what do you guys use to keep it in place someone told me float stops and someone else says tooth pick the round type i like the toothpick idea just cuz it's cheap and easy  :)

I make my own float stops. Easy to do.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 09:28:05 PM »

I make my own float stops. Easy to do.
What do you make out of?

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 09:48:53 PM »