Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: back packs  (Read 6226 times)

4TheKids

Re: back packs
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

I doesn't look fishy but it is the best design for fishing. You don't have to take it off to access it. When it is on your back it is completely out of the way. It is big enough to carry a day's worth of steel heading stuff. And it is only $20.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/FrontPanelZipLoad/PRD~5001-497/mec-right-hand-pod-sling-pack.jsp

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »

Have u looked into dry packs that they use for kayaking?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Dryfly22

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »

I have a Sage Typhoon. Think that is what it is called. water proof and super comfortable.  Easy to drop when you get "bit"  Not cheap but I have not worn anything like it.

DF.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »

One thing to keep in mind with backpacks.  A good buddy of mine was hiking into the chehalis canyon in the summer looking for summer runs with a couple of buddies.  He was using his waterproof backpack.  Beautiful summer day wading the river and crossing to get to some runs when he feels his feet slide a bit here and there...  odd but doesn't think to much of it.  Next crossing is a bit deeper then the rest and half way he's under.  The first thought to cross his buddies mind is "how am I going to explain what happened today to his wife and kids?"  If not for sheer luck he managed to grab a branch/root of a log jam. 

The waterproof pack lifted him off his feet.  Sorry for the downer on a fun thread but I think everyone should be aware of what can happen. 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »

I wore a vest for years and always found when fully loaded it gave me a sore back after a few hours. I imagine this is due to all the weight being in the front. The convenience of having everything in immediately accessible pockets is hard to beat though. Another thing I didn't like about the vest is the compartments are not waterproof and my fly boxes, tackle in ziplocks, etc got covered in water droplets and had to be aired/dryed out when I got home.

I guess the bottom line is each way of carrying your tackle has it's costs and benifets. For me all the tackle I need immediate access to can fit in my wading jacket. Everything else goes in the pack. Having the weight in the back feels a lot more comfortable and doesn't give me a sore back.

mvelasco

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »

I wore a vest for years and always found when fully loaded it gave me a sore back after a few hours. I imagine this is due to all the weight being in the front. The convenience of having everything in immediately accessible pockets is hard to beat though. Another thing I didn't like about the vest is the compartments are not waterproof and my fly boxes, tackle in ziplocks, etc got covered in water droplets and had to be aired/dryed out when I got home.

I guess the bottom line is each way of carrying your tackle has it's costs and benifets. For me all the tackle I need immediate access to can fit in my wading jacket. Everything else goes in the pack. Having the weight in the back feels a lot more comfortable and doesn't give me a sore back.
+1
Everything I need gear wise is in my jacket. The pack is more for food, water and a loving thermos.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »

Was web surfing for a water bottle that has a filter that can screen out 99.999 % of the bad thus making good healthy water to consume.
As long as the water source is fresh water ...tap water or lake river etc...
But one site with these filter bottles also had some back packs.

Teton 3400 (Teton Wilderness 55/Scout 3400)
Good comfort.
No stress on back or shoulders even after full day of hiking.
Unique sleeping bag compartment.
Smartly placed zipper pouches.
Has rain fly thus pack is weather proof.
$59.99

Eclipse Solar Pack
Solar charging panel
4 watts of charging power
Pack has multiple pockets for cell laptop net book apple device GPS unit CD player.
( this pack will keep your cell phone charged up & all the other space ya can put your food thermos etc..day pack.)
$119.90

Voodoo Tactical improved rucksack ( used by the US Special Ops )
Combined military/hiking pack.
Lots of pockets/ coil zippers to keep sand out.
Padded comfort back.
$149.99

Check out these packs on the web.
The Teton 3400 one looks really nice.