Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low profile baitcasters  (Read 15338 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Low profile baitcasters
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »

I like the low profile bait castors! Last year I went out and purchased the Abu Revo! I started to have problems with the release button on the second trip out that could not be solved! It kept getting stuck between engage and disengage! Brought it in right away for a once over and back out to the river with it! Once again, same problem! Other than that it , when it was working properly and very smooth casting and a great drag. But still problems with the engage button. Was very frustrating!

Then I had it replaced with the new Daiwa Lexa! This reel was designed to give the revo a run for its money! Daiwa did not disappoint! I feel that the casting is pin point accurate, smooth drifts, An actual anti-backlash system that  works that can be adjusted to suit your needs extremely accurately. The high ratio retrieve  is superb and the drag system is accurate and super strong. I have been using this with my sage 2106 rod all winter and have to say it is a much better reel than the Abu Revo! Over and above it by a long shot!

hotrod

After 5 years I noticed I was having this issue. I figured I never maintained the reel and all the sand and borax must have done it's work. I had Mike's Reel Repair maintain the reel and it's back in tip top shape.
But my Quantum Pro Tour that Steelhead_King recommended to me years ago is a fantastic reel.
1,2,3 and the line is in.

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »

Thanks!!! Super helpful!!!

I was looking at the chonarch and canien today! Decisions decisions :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »

Thanks!!! Super helpful!!!

I was looking at the chonarch and canien today! Decisions decisions :)

If you can find one the Curado E series was rebranded as the Chronarch and is less expensive. The Curado G series is lower quality.

fish fishburn

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »

Definitely have a look at the Curado 300. It holds about 275 yrds of 30 lb braid has an awesome buttery smooth drag. I bought one last year just for fishing the Vedder and it works really well.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »

The Abu Revo Toro is the smoothest reel I have and I have a few of them.

Milo, reels have come along way over the past 10 years so you might want to have a look at them again. The Revo Toro comes in two sizes, I have both, the larger size is best for Vedder Fishing and balances quite nicley with my Fenwick rods. The Revo Toro is as smooth if not smoother than my Shimano calcutta if that means anything to you.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:12 AM »

Milo, reels have come along way over the past 10 years...

I am very well aware of that, Vic.
Thing is...I have a soft spot in my heart for vintage ABU reels. I collect them and fish with them.
My to-go Vedder reel is a 1969 Ambassadeur 5000C with a little extra something in its innards that make it as smooth as any reel of today. My to-go fly reel is a 1970 ABU Delta 5, and my to-go Spinning reel is an Abu Cardinal 4. I have learned to service them myself - something that would be difficult for me to do with newer reels because of all the parts inside. The beauty of vintage ABUs lies in their simplicity.

As I said before, people in the market for new reels should try everything out in order to find out what works for them. As for me, I already have more baitcasters than I will ever need in this lifetime, and they all work great for me. I don't need to have the latest and greatest

Cheers,

Milo

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »

Nice, I think we need to hook you up with some Abu swag for all that brand loyalty. I will see what i can find so come see me at the Abby show.
I also have an old 6500 with some upgrades to the guts, great old reels for sure. If you noticed in the pic, all my reels are Abu or Penn, great products.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »

Nice, I think we need to hook you up with some Abu swag for all that brand loyalty. I will see what i can find so come see me at the Abby show.
I also have an old 6500 with some upgrades to the guts, great old reels for sure. If you noticed in the pic, all my reels are Abu or Penn, great products.

Sounds good, thank you.  :)
See you there.

Silex-user

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »

I am very well aware of that, Vic.
Thing is...I have a soft spot in my heart for vintage ABU reels. I collect them and fish with them.
My to-go Vedder reel is a 1969 Ambassadeur 5000C with a little extra something in its innards that make it as smooth as any reel of today. My to-go fly reel is a 1970 ABU Delta 5, and my to-go Spinning reel is an Abu Cardinal 4. I have learned to service them myself - something that would be difficult for me to do with newer reels because of all the parts inside. The beauty of vintage ABUs lies in their simplicity.

As I said before, people in the market for new reels should try everything out in order to find out what works for them. As for me, I already have more baitcasters than I will ever need in this lifetime, and they all work great for me. I don't need to have the latest and greatest

Cheers,

Milo

You like me Milo, old school type I got some  70's Garcia ABU 6000C, 5000C and special 1991 6000C Anniversary model. I love the single handle knob and it is built heavy. I even got some old Mitchell 300 spinning reels and it was one these reel where I caught my 1 steelhead with back in the 70`s

Silex-user

noobfisher

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

I was in the same boat past year debating a low profile or standard bait caster.  Ended up with the Abu Garcia c4.  It's okay but wish I had gone with a low profile bait caster, it's a little to big for my tastes.

sbc hris

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »

Hmmm I might have to have another shot with one of these low-pro bait casters. I had one years ago, and actually caught a ton of fish on it without any problems. Perhaps I'll have a look at those Revos 8)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »

While I’m more used to the feel of round reels due to many years of using a Calcutta, last year I had a chance to borrow a friend’s Curado (or something similar) paired to a GL3 for a few trips and was really blown away by the difference in weight. A few ounces may not sound like much,  there’s a noticeable world of difference especially when you consider having to sling a rig all day long. You could conceivably  put together a set that weighs half of the typical setup you’d see on the river and it would feel like casting with a feather by comparison.

I’m now looking to pair a ~6 oz reel and a uber light rod for this year and I think only low-profiles have anything in that class. Unfortunately it will be a pricey exercise but based on last season’s experiences I’m really looking forward to using it.

I can certainly appreciate the trust people have in their older/’vintage’ gear. I still have a selection of older Abus and Shimanos that have served me well over the years that I could never bear to get rid of but have basically been relegated to displaying on the shelf or loaner duty now that modern reels have gotten so good. 

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »

If you are looking for a larger line capacity low profile reel , you may want to check out the new for 2013 Daiwa Lexa 300. It holds 120yds of 20lb mono which will do for most winter steelheading situations.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

all this talk about line capacity!!! seriously when was the last time a fish took you over 75yds on the vedder??? A few years ago I landed 26 springers on the Fraser using a Curado E7 low profile baitcaster and 30# power pro....mind you I did come close to getting spooled a few times but generally it worked fine.  Low profile reels are the future for fishing smaller rivers, they are just way easier to fish. I don't however want to discount personal preference.  I choose to fish with a centerpin which is a lot more archaic method than a large bait caster. Its not always about ease. IMO if you want to fish a low pro dont let line capacity stop you.