Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder red springs  (Read 6886 times)

rides bike to work

vedder red springs
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »

I would like to take a talley on the red spings caught in the vedder in september october Personaly I have none while we are at it lets talley the whites to.By red sring I mean the meat is red.The topic of the type of springs coming up the vedder realy intrests me because I have notice a farther separation in the different speceis of salmon in the non pink years (tons of springs leading into tons of chum with less coho)to pink run years(lots of pinks leading into fair coho fair chum and low springs).Are these results a part of aplan in place by fisheries or was it a crap shoot back in the day that gives a our current populations of species.And if this is a part of a plan why dont they focus on boosting a red spring fishery wich are better table fair.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: vedder red springs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »

There are 3 stocks of Chinook in the Chilliwack-Vedder:  indigenous summer run fish, entering the system in late June thru August, spawning in late September.  This stock is genetically extinct but I’m told a few exist - they were a hoot to fish for in the early 70’s when more abundant.

Next to arrive are the hatchery summer reds , a mix of interior stocks from systems like Bowron River, Finn Creek and Chilko River. These fish spawn late August - early September and are essentially a put and take fishery as wild recruitment is minimal due to poor egg/fry/smolt production.

Last to arrive are the fall whites, derived from Harrison River stock.  This is what is in the Chilliwack now and has been for the last month.  When fresh and new, the flesh of these fish is pink; almost steelhead flesh coloured.  After a week or so in the river this flesh colour fades to the more common white or marbled look.  Again, wild recruitment from fall whites, with the possible exception of Sweltzer Creek spawners, is minimal.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

I have gotten around 10 of the reds over the last few years in September/October.
I have even got one that was chrome in November.

There are a few reds around in the system in later months.
Have heard that this is the last remnants of the native run to the Vedder. They like roe.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:48 PM »

Lets see some meat shots. Every one and their dog seems to be catching these 'red' chinook. Not saying they don't exist but in all my years I can't say I've ever seen one... :-\ Granted I never really target adult chinook in the fall.
Actions speak louder than words.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »

Meat is in the freezer but if you are desperate to see it, yes, it is red. Very red. Not light pink not marble, but red.

norm_2

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »

Sterling, I will email you a photo of one I caught last week and you can post it for me.  Unfortunately, it did not taste as good as I remembered the reds I caught in July years ago.  I thought it tasted more like a white.

Robert_G

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »

My brother just pulled in the driveway with a 26 lb pure red from the Vedder...not one incling of marble or white in it. I just fillet it in half.....he gave me half. Dinner has been decided.
Very happy right now :)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

My brother just pulled in the driveway with a 26 lb pure red from the Vedder...not one incling of marble or white in it. I just fillet it in half.....he gave me half. Dinner has been decided.
Very happy right now :)

Pics or it didn't happen :-\

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

I saw a spring a guy was calling red...it wasn't what I would call a red.  I agree with Sterling in that I think a lot of people are calling fish reds that arent. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »

I saw a spring a guy was calling red...it wasn't what I would call a red.  I agree with Sterling in that I think a lot of people are calling fish reds that arent. 

I def know my fish.... and I don't keep many white.
I can say for certain these were RED chinook and not white.
I have caught many whites that were fresh with pale pink meat, etc but these were blood red.
Don;t need to believe me or anyone else but they are there.

Remember, I use to fish the Vedder every day for 4 years in a roe after school, weekends, etc so I ran into a lot of weird stuff over those years.
What about the December chromer chum? Seen any of those? I can say I've caught a few.

Robert_G

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen :-\

Not that I should have to post pictures.......there is no question that today's catch is a pure red spring

FishOn36

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »

That's a beauty Robert!!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »

that is as red as mine was last week, however mine was a hatchery

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »

That a boy, you just put an end to the debate whether there are red ones in there or not. Thank you for the pics!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »

At least until the next red spring come along. ;D