Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river  (Read 4727 times)

costas

vedder river
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »

heeey I will be going up to the vedder for a few days and wondering ware would be a good idea to fish :) thanks in advance .Ps im not looking foe anyone seceret spot  ::)
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: vedder river
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:17 PM »

heeey I will be going up to the vedder for a few days and wondering ware would be a good idea to fish :) thanks in advance .Ps im not looking foe anyone seceret spot  ::)
I think you will find it very slow for salmon now, until September, better to fish the Fraser.

costas

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »

oh well, ill be camping out there.. so i might aswell give it a shot :) ..ware do you think would be the best bet up river ? or down ?
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

BBarley

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:29:48 AM »

I've been putting some effort on the Vedder, it's not producing in the lower river for me.

With that being said, it's a matter of finding a good run or hole, with fish in it, and you could have a blast.

strobes

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »

We have been fishing it steady from the railway bridge all the way up to ranger run, which is a disgusting mess from campers this weekend. There are a few springs we've seen but nothing biting. Fly fishing for trout though has not dissapointed.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »

i'll 2nd for that, if it werent for the trout caught on the fly i would have been skunked everytime now. and i havent even SEEN a spring roll by yet.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »

my buddy fished for trout (just with a worm) in the upper river the this past weekend and said he caught the most trout he's ever caught on the Vedder/Chilliwack - he landed 14 trout and kept 2 small ones

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »

ya its not too hard to catch trout right now.. they're all over, but most of them are in the 4" to 6" range nothing to write home about. but there's bigger ones in there, just a matter of finding them and using the right fly or bait.

jeff

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »

Ya I have caught alot of small ones but last weekend I got a couple of them over 12 inchs.
Enjoying the water..........

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

really jeff? upper or lower?.. i've been searchin for them, but to no avail yet. any tips you'd like to let me in on ;D
im just getting into the fly fishing recently and would like to get one over 6 inches for once haha
~cheers

jeff

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »

lickman road, I am new to fly fishing as well I was just casting to the fast water and letting my fly swing into the seam between the faster and slower. I would let it hang for a bit then start striping line back in, I was using a muddler.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »

i was there a couple weeks ago. got a few smaller ones, had a decent sized (well it looked that way when it came up and spat the hook) but it got away.
are you using floating line or sink tip? perhaps the bigger ones werent into my fly, while they small fries will pretty much hit anything

BBarley

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

Considering not everyone fishes alike, and trout behavior can be almost bipolar depending on such small things like the barometric pressure. I doubt it matters much if he was using a floating or sinking tip ;D ;D ;D

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

true, everyday is different and certain tacktics will prove different results. its more of a curiosity thing. perhaps the fish preferred looking up on a bait one area, and down another?
just trying to learn what i can and gain some knowledge

jeff

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »

I was using a floating line, with a fly with a bead on it. I will say most of the times I have been out I have started fishing late morning and having success, but as soon as the tubers started going by the bites were really hard to come by to the point of non existent. But oh well the river is for everyone not just the fisherman.