Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Pinks  (Read 4636 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Vedder Pinks
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »

A friend of mine is pondering visiting the Vedder this weekend to do a little pink fishing.  Since I've never been up to there early enough to fish for fresh pinks, I wasn't any help.  From reading the reports, it sounds like the bulk of the run hasn't come in yet and the Vedder might be pretty skinny water for quality fishing.  Should I direct him to fish the Fraser mouth or stay in Washinton and fish the Skagit?   

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Vedder Pinks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »

They are doing well for Jack springs using roe right now under the usual bridge during low water. As for pinks I have only herd of a few being spotted. The lower fraser is starting to fish well and will only get better. They are also expecting rain starting tomorrow through to sunday. 10-15mm on friday, 10-15mm on saturday and upto 10mm on sunday. This should bring in more fish.Also starting this friday they have increaed the limit from 2 pinks a day to 4 per day.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:00:54 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

lapetitebuse

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »

4 pinks a day! waooo

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:49:25 PM »

They are doing well for Jack springs using roe right now under the usual bridge during low water. As for pinks I have only herd of a few being spotted. The lower fraser is starting to fish well and will only get better. They are also expecting rain starting tomorrow through to sunday. 10-15mm on friday, 10-15mm on saturday and upto 10mm on sunday. This should bring in more fish.Also starting this friday they have increaed the limit from 2 pinks a day to 4 per day.

so do you mean the fish are being caught "un willing" geff T?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »

Are the pinks any good to eat out of the vedder or are they mostly dark?

koko

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »

Are the pinks any good to eat out of the vedder or are they mostly dark?

You catch them now is pefectly fine

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »

the best time to get clean pinks is when they first enter the river or shortly after,your best bet would be to fish the lower river for the chromers.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

mr.p

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »

You catch them now is pefectly fine
I would not say vedder pinks fine.  Pinks turn fast.  By the time they reach the vedder their flesh is soft and mushy.
Even alot of the pinks I catch in the lower Fraser are far from what I consider fresh.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »

What are you talking about???????

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »

thanks for that. should have read more carefully.

sorry. :)

doja

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

I would not say vedder pinks fine.  Pinks turn fast.  By the time they reach the vedder their flesh is soft and mushy.
Even alot of the pinks I catch in the lower Fraser are far from what I consider fresh.

It's a wise idea to give the fish a careful and light squeeze, not in the stomach and such but the back where the meat is, to see if the meat is soft or firm.

It don't take much pressure, if any, so be careful  but this can save a fish from being trashed as I've caught pinks that looked exactly the same with no hump and still very silver for the vedder but some were really good and some were garbage.

penn

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Ya what are you talking about?? Have you ever known of any fish being willingly caught?? I haven't.

koko

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »

Pick and chose, just keep the chrome buck, the flesh is on the soft side any way.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »

Ya what are you talking about?? Have you ever known of any fish being willingly caught?? I haven't.

Ok. i apologized for the post. Please, no need to start an argument. I meant snag. I know of fish being snagged under that bridge.Do you know of that?

Again. I miss read the post. and I apologize. If you wish to discuss this further you can pm me or talk with me when you see me on the flow. :)

cheers.