Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon cradle  (Read 3550 times)

roeman

Sturgeon cradle
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »

Hey, anyone know where to get a sturgeon cradle or have ideas on building your own.
Thanks
Are you fishin or catchin

cohojoe

Re: Sturgeon cradle
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »

we made salmon and  Pike cradles from mesh.   but I think mesh would entangle with those spikes on the sturgeon.   So maybe think about using a,  cut in half,   plastic wide culvert pipe with plenty of drain holes.   This way you can write the inches / cms ,  and  position many rope / webbing grab handles along the entire length of the  half pipe.     Also you can clean this much better than a mesh.    Also  it would be good if you going to release the sturgeon ( not dropping it on the edge of the boat if it decides to flop around.)   That is what I would do  .    Or better yet ask the DFO  scientists  who are experts in studying sturgeons.

Verdi

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:00:28 AM »

I have not made one yet but have be told how.

1 inch wooden dowel for home depot and a small tarp..

Good luck.

gofishon

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »

We used ours for the first time recently. 1 & 1/2 inch wooden dowel about 6 feet long depending on workable boat beam size and strong outdoor upholstery fabric (very fine mesh) about 30" wide stapled and glued onto dowels. Leave 6 inches or so on each end of the dowels uncovered so you have handles. The 4 footer we released just about fell asleep in it while we slipped the hook out and took a picture. Good luck.