Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Steelhead Blog Series - My Journal - The Quest for 20  (Read 10118 times)

Apennock

Re: Winter Steelhead Blog Series - My Journal - The Quest for 20
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »

Rod has a great video on how to rig the worm here:  https://youtu.be/X9VbASmHxyA

As for gear, I would use pencil lead and I think most in this forum do as well.  The nice thing with it is that you then don't really have to worry about your float size, just use the smallest one you can get away with for the size/current of the river your fishing and balance it with the pencil lead. 

I don't know what the official word is but, from my anecdotal experiences, pink worms seem to end up with fewer foul thank lures like jigs or spoons.  I don't think you have to worry. 

Loving the blog!  Thanks for the time and effort you (clearly) put into it. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:04:09 AM by Apennock »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »

I love this blog. Since you have been doing this for a few seasons now, and you get many new rivers each season, how many different systems have you caught a steelhead in?  Do you keep track by winter/summer?  I'm still at '1', but this blog is really inspiring.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: How do you fish your pink worms?
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »

I'm curious as to the setup you guys use for the 4"-6" pink worms. How big a float do you use? Are you using graduate round shot like the pinners, or in-line pencil lead? How about hook placement in the worm?

I don't use the worm very much, but it sure is controversial up on the Skeena & tribs. So my final question might seem peculiar, but I'm wondering if you experience any deeply hooked (rakers/gills/gullet) fish on the pink worm? In general, where are you hooking the fish (I know, I know, "in the mouth" . . . .)

My set up is much the same as any other float set up. I typically use a 25 gram dne float and then 3 of the largest sized split shot (I believe they are size 2). The fish will almost always move to kill the worms, so I typically fish them well off bottom.

I've also had very good luck bottom bouncing them when fish are spooky. I know, spooky and pink worms wouldn't seem to mix with most people, and it never used to with me either. That being said, I've now found that floats seem to actually be the culprit that spooks weary fish. If fish are acting funny, I'll take off the float and bottom bounce a single split shot (whichever size is best suited to that current), and a 2-3 foot flouro leader. It's amazing how many fish will move and grab the worm after you've gotten rid of the float. The method also works well with bait and trout beads.

As for hookups, I think I can only remember maybe 1 or 2 that have ever taken it deep. Neither were bleeders, but I cut my line anyway rather than trying to dig around. I find most worm hook ups are in the side of the mouth, the bottom of the lower jaw, right in the tip of the nose, or sometimes on the top of the head.

Lots of people claim the worms miss a lot of fish on the hit. If you're finding that you are missing good float downs, my advice is to slow up your hook set drastically. The fish rarely let the worm go and will chew it. I normally count to 2 or 3, and then reel down until I feel good weight before setting the hook with worms. It takes a while to get used to hesitating on the hook set, but it seems to work well with pink worms, especially 6 inches.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »

I love this blog. Since you have been doing this for a few seasons now, and you get many new rivers each season, how many different systems have you caught a steelhead in?  Do you keep track by winter/summer?  I'm still at '1', but this blog is really inspiring.

One of these days I'll get a hard number. I know that it's over 40 and nearing 50 where I've landed a steelhead. I haven't separated it between summers and winters - just steelhead in general. I'll get back to you on that one :D

Snagly

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »

Great info on the worm rigging and hooking experience. As I wrote, I don't fish Jake the Snake very much but over the last 15 years I've never hooked a fish deep on a worm.

"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

A little teaser for the full video coming out soon that will highlight our entire season. I will post it up in a new thread on Friday (both a video and a year end blog that pictures every river/highlights of our season).

Again, thanks for following along.

Video Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAoMzH_ZvA