Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Theft at Peg Leg  (Read 5182 times)

SilverChaser

Theft at Peg Leg
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »

Hi guys,

Myself and TheLostSockeye look a little stroll to Peg Leg today. I parked the truck along the side of the road where everyone does, grabbed our stuff, and went for a walk. Not thinking, I totally forgot to lock the canopy of the truck, which had my dads wading boots and waders in the back. It was just now that I found out that they are missing. They were stolen sometime between 2:00-4:30 pm. I know that it's a total long shot and that it's my fault that I wasn't more cautious, but if are in the area, can you just keep an eye open, or even when you are on the internet in Buy n' Sell Groups, Craigslist, etc. They are Spring Foot (I believe) Neoprene Hip Waders in Green colour with Simms Guide Boots (Brown) in Size 11.

Thank you.

Matt

(Edit: You can contact me at 604-819-8779 or mattmylleville@hotmail.com)
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Theft at Peg Leg
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »

Never, ever leave anything of value in plain sight in a vehicle . Too many thieves out there. Locked or not locked. Chances of finding your stolen items are next to none. As you have now, I learned this lesson the hard way. My spare fishing rod was ripped off out of my locked truck parked in a pull out beside the Vedder.

SilverChaser

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »

Never, ever leave anything of value in plain sight in a vehicle . Too many thieves out there. Locked or not locked. Chances of finding your stolen items are next to none. As you have now, I learned this lesson the hard way. My spare fishing rod was ripped off out of my locked truck parked in a pull out beside the Vedder.
For sure. It was last minute for myself and TLS to meet up and I totally forgot about the stuff in the back. You live and you learn.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »

Yeah sucks dude. I had the a similar thing happen to me at the Vedder. On the off chance your dad bought his stuff within the last 3 months with a credit card, you can make a claim. The card company will reimburse you.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

Bummer dude.

Blackrt03

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »

x2

fullahead

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:22:43 AM »

I take my insurance papers in my vest, leave garage opener at home, and leave nothing in the car. No get this leave the car UNLOCKED. Been hit three times, over the years.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »

I drive a car with a soft top, so its even worse for me than a jimmy'd lock or a smashed window.  We're talking 3K for a new top. 

As mentioned above, I leave NOTHING in the car.  No chargers, no loose change in the cupholder, no papers, no pens even.  Nothing.  Thieves will be lured by ANYTHING.  And I leave the car unlocked.

If I have something in the cab of the car that I just can't take with me (rare), I lock it in the trunk and disable the trunk release.

I once had ALL my gear stolen in one shot.  Silly me loaded up the car the night before a trip.  6 rods and reels and all my bass fishing gear, which was hard to accumulate back 20 years ago.  Funny thing, I found a bunch my bass gear for sale at a pawn shop in Westbank 6-7 years later.  I knew it was mine as it had my own custom home made spinner baits and such in my tackle box.  A Plano box with an Abu sticker I put on the side.  No coincidence there...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:51:42 AM by Damien »

burnaby

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »

On the bright side they didn't break your windows/locks for further damage. Friend had a window smashed parked across from house on the Vedder, double damage.

Sagefishr

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

I too had my window smashed only car right at Browne road, from when I reported it that day they had 6 car/trucks broken into that day.  It was 2 guys on bikes a witness told me but was too far away to do anything.  It sucks,  same bunch of punks doing b n e to fuel their addictions.

bj23

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »

I too had my window smashed only car right at Browne road, from when I reported it that day they had 6 car/trucks broken into that day.  It was 2 guys on bikes a witness told me but was too far away to do anything.  It sucks,  same bunch of punks doing b n e to fuel their addictions.

When was this Browne Road incident?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »

About a week and a half ago, FFM and I got to our spot early (only one there) and rather than sit on the river in the dark, we decided to catch a bit of a nap in my truck while parked on the side of Vedder road across from some houses.  An old small pickup truck pulls in behind us coming from upstream.  Thinking that it was another fisherman, we decided to get out of the truck and get ready for the walk to the river to get our spot.  The guy pauses for a second and then pulls out and drives away.  I suspect that had we not stayed in the truck, I would have come back to some broken glass on the side of the road.

John Revolver

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »

I typed out and laminated a sign that I place on my dash that says

"NO VALUABLES IN VEHICLE"

Its been pretty effective.  I drive Jeep TJ and go topless often during the summer