Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Auto Inflating PFD  (Read 1944 times)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
Auto Inflating PFD
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:07:55 AM »

Ok so I am thinking of buying a couple of either Mustang, or Nautilus auto inflating PFD's.  Anyone with experience/advice about these.....positive or negative.  Which do you all perfer? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Auto Inflating PFD
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:17:38 PM »

Did you go for a swim recently? ;D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »

No, I have never fallen overboard, and I am a pretty good swimmer (Lifeguarded in my youth).  However, now that Alice (my wife) is wanting to go out with  me more often, I suddenly am thinking of improving the saftey around my boats.  Just trying to find out which of these is better or if they are any good at all..How reliable are those auto inflaters, and how frequent are the accidental inflations.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:14:49 PM »

Yup that is exactly what I have been look at.  Anyone else have a preferance between Nautilus and Mustang.

salmonlander

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

I have used a use a Mustang for the past 3 years. Its comfortable and does not get in the way when casting. A good choice. Even comfortable when worn over a tee shirt.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:29:50 PM »

i use the exact same one and you cant even tell its on you. i used my dads while were camping (cause mine is still at roe kids house...) at lightning lake last week, and his inflates on contact with water, or manual. unfortuntely, i didnt know that and a bit went into the water and poof! thing went up in a matter of 2 seconds. gotta pay more money for a new stupid cartridge now :P

PS: ROE KID, I need to pick up my pillow and vest sometime this week! :o

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »

My personal preference would be the non-automatic inflation type, but only to avoid Coho Cody's experience. One thing to remember with the inflatables is that if it is the only pfd you have, it MUST be worn if you are in an open boat, or above deck in a boat with enclosed space. Can't just have it sitting beside you.

Extract from the regs:

(2) Subject to subsection (3), a personal flotation device may be of an inflatable type if

(a) it is worn in any open boat; or

(b) it is worn by a person in any boat that is not open while the person is on deck or in the cockpit, or it is readily available to the person when the person is below deck.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:41:02 PM »

Thanks guys...

HoHummm, I was unaware of this, that is good to know, (although I do also have conventional PFD's on the boat and I am buying this type BECAUSE I often find myself taking off the conventional type due to heat, discomfort, etc). 

I think I have decided on the Mustang as they have recently improved their auto inflation device (supposedly).  Now to find the best price.