Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new NHL rule changes  (Read 9413 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
new NHL rule changes
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:27:16 PM »

Was wondering what everyone thought of the rule changes for this year??  Do you think that they are going to help? Make a better game? Increase scoring?
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: new NHL rule changes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:33:09 PM »

Being a purist of the game I hate them. It is to suit the American viewing audience nothing more. Americans wont go and see 1-0 or 3-2 games they would find it boring. So now they want the games to be 8-7 or 7-6. I feel sorry for the goalies.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »

Should start a new record book,to many changes to what was a great product to begin with. You will probably see way more 50 goal scorers this year and 100 points will be the norm for your top players which will make it interesting. Who will wi n scoring race  Bert ?  Forsberg ?  ........

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »

Well I was a goalie for 14 years, and I am a purest as well.  I do not feel sorry for the goalies one bit.  They have taken advantage of the gear in anyway that they could. Football shoulder pads, massive oversized jersey, not to mention the glove.  It is about time that the NHL makes goaltending about skills and not about who wears the biggest equipment.  Also as a 32 year old, old fashioned to me is the late 70's to early 80's.  I don't remember to many 1-0 or 2-1 games then.  So you can be a purest, and believe in a game that you were never there to see.  I grew up with high scoring and fast paced games, and over the last ten years we were seeing none of that.  I like most of the rule changes.  Don't really care if it was done for the americans or not.  It will make a more entertaining brand of hockey.  I think allot of canadians, whether they wine or moan now, will like it when they see it.  Just one man's opinion though.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 09:31:37 PM »

Big Steel I am 31 years old and I was also a goalie. I grew up in the same era as you and in the 80's it was a high scoring game but the rules were no different except they allowed the goalies to start wearing bigger equiptment and I also didnt agree with the size of their pads. I think the goalie equiptment change was a good idea but thats it. Getting rid of the center line is the biggest joke. Nothing like having floaters all over the ice.......

Belong to the "4 F Club"

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 02:50:30 PM »

I think removing the center line is a joke but i do agree in down sizeing the goalie equipment,all they really needed to do was to come down hard on all the interference , hooking ,clutching and grabbing,that alone would open up the game to the more skilled players.Look back to the mid eighties there were no gimmicks to improve scoring and there was no shortage of goals,the main problem with todays nhl is there are far to many teams and not enough talent to go around , that is what has resulted in less skilled teams having to clutch and grab just to be able to compete.My biggest concern with all the changes this year is it will take the hitting out of the game and turn it into figure skating with hockey sticks.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:50:31 PM »

i guess they did it to eliminate the trap and try to widen the zone coverage.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »

I'm not sure about the rule that keeps you from tatooing "Victoriaville" on an offensive player in front of your net.  That was where the battles were won and lost.  And they made for great replays  :o

I DO like limiting where the goalie can handle the puck... did they instate that rule?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 04:56:11 PM »

Yes Dragonspeed, I believe they did.  Was watching the highlights, and they have got new lines behind the net on either side.  Past those lines the goalie cannot touch the puck. ;D ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »

Yes Dragonspeed, I believe they did.  Was watching the highlights, and they have got new lines behind the net on either side.  Past those lines the goalie cannot touch the puck. ;D ;D

Another option I would have been happy with is "Goalies are PASTEABLE behind the red line" :D :D :D :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »

Remember the World Hockey Association ? They had two line passing. The end result was that mediocre players were suddenly 50 goal scorers. Remember Danny Lawson of the Vancouver Blazers ?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 12:24:32 AM »

just saw the highlights from some of the preseason games. those goalies look alot skinnier with their smaller pads and blockers. ;D

good saves are alot more spectacular to watch and the great goalies will stand out more. :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »

Yes, I thinkthat some of the goalies that everyone thought were great aren't going to be so great anymore.  But, that is just fine by me.  Goaltending should be all about talent and reflexes again.  Don't know how Cloutier will fare with these rule changes, but look at the bright side.  We still have Alex Auld.  He is very big, a stand-up goalie, and given enough playing time, I think that he will turn into one hack of a goalie.  I already think that he is a better goalie than Cloutier anyways.  Auld shouldn't have to wait that long though, Clouts usually get hurt pretty quick anyways!!!!! ::) ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 07:12:24 PM »

Another Cloutier fan I see. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 08:54:22 PM »

I dont know why everyone is so hard on Cloutier. Look at his regular season numbers. Hes in the top 5 for wins over the past 3 years. He is a good goaltender and I am thinking he is poised for a great season. He sure doesn't lack heart as he's always fired up.

Belong to the "4 F Club"