Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum salmon returning to Spanish Bank... Good news and bad news  (Read 8149 times)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Chum salmon returning to Spanish Bank... Good news and bad news
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 07:07:05 PM »

well.. very true; however, I think the point was to inform people and stop them from killing the fish.  Not to get big fines after the deed is done.  Big fines don't spawn.

"Big fines don't spawn"...true!.....but big fines could lead to more enforcement to our local rivers , lakes and beyond....it could also go into more stream habitat restoration projects. :)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 07:16:54 PM »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of homeless people living in the bushes near Spanish banks as well as the odd Hostel youth from out of town who thinks that grabbing a salmon out of a small creek is cool.
I beg your pardon that is bunk.
In fact there is one person living homeles in the bushes there-name of Greg.
The hostel closed back @ the end of September and won't reopen until May.
Many parents in the area don't care that their little ones are playing around in the water and messing up a spawning ground, as they can't read the posted signs because of language difficulties.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 07:29:49 PM »

Before people start believing money derived from fines due to higher enforcement would fund more enforcement and habitat enhancement, please find out where the money is actually going to first.

Habitat enhancement falls into a section of the Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP). Here's how money is allocated in SEP:

• $2M for habitat restoration
  • $19.5M for fish production
  • $3M for public involvement

My advice to the Spanish Bank Streamkeepers would be, to encourage more involvement from the community. Make the public aware of the existance of these projects and the stream. By getting the community involved in these projects, a sense of ownership will form among local residents, who will make the extra effort to ensure the restoration of this stream progress smoothly.

There are many examples in the Greater Vancouver Regional District when it comes to successful community stream restoration. Stoney Creek in Burnaby and Noons Creek in Port Moody are just two of them.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 08:09:04 PM »

Rodney-that is exactly what they do daily.
There's a guy there taking water temps every day-he carries a photo album of returned fish and constantly talks to people about the project-name of Ron I speak to him every time I see him.
Sometimes he's there in the AM then the PM as well.

In additon-as mentioned earlier in the thread-they are using fry raised by local schoolkids-I have been there when classes came down to see their fish released.

phatwop

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 08:22:43 PM »

sorry sam, didn't realize that the hostel closed, so i am wrong on that account.

but there is more than one homeless person living down in the bushes. maybe you know one by name, but there are many many living down there from the stretch of jericho beach to further past spanish banks where all the summer raves take place.. maybe they leave for the summer, i'm not sure , but when i was fishing for smelts in late summer, there were many people living in the bushes that may or may not be illegal campers or homeless.

since i live right up from the beach, i'm down there walking the dog at least twice a day so i'm just  going with what i see. it's not anything like the vedder, but there are people in there, who are obviously having themselves a salmon bbq in the late evenings.  :(