Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum salmon returning to Spanish Bank... Good news and bad news  (Read 8148 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chum salmon returning to Spanish Bank... Good news and bad news
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »

The first of this season's Chum salmon returned to the Creek on the high tide Sunday evening, October 9th. That is the good news. The bad news is that it was intercepted as it was trying to make its way up the Creek. The fileted 30 inch carcass was found Monday morning near the mouth of the Creek. The remains of a fire were found above the high tide mark on the sand next to the Creek with indications that at least two people had enjoyed our salmon.

The Chum salmon returning this year were spawned four years ago at the Kanaka Creek hatchery in Maple Ridge. Kanaka Creek is a tributary of the Fraser River. Most of the Chum fry that were placed into the Creek in the Spring of 2002 were raised from eggs at the hatchery and the rest were raised by school children in Vancouver schools. Last year 65 Chum returned, the first four appearing on October 18th. We estimate that we had twenty pairs that spawned in the Creek close to Marine Drive.

Because of this recent poaching event the Streamkeepers will increase surveillance at the Creek especially during high tide, but we would also appreciate it if you could help us by watching for suspicious activity. If a car is involved make a note of its licence number and report the illegal activity to the Federal Fisheries ORR (Observe,Record,Report) line at 604 666-3500. Also please report the activity to Ron Gruber when you meet him at the Creek, or phone me at 604 228-9346. Thanks.

Dick Scarth
President, SBSk

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Chum salmon returning to Spanish Bank... Good news and bad news
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:33:58 PM »

With people like this these days, how could a small creek survive?...with the odd fish returning, some greedy moron has to ruin it all for the rest of us.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:23:26 PM »

Let's just say that the Vancouver Police will be "supervising" the area.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 06:26:36 PM by Rodney »
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 08:11:56 PM »

That is very sad news indeed.  It would be nice to have salmon back in all of the small creeks in the Greater Vancouver area and hopefully it will come one day. 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:34:01 PM »

I cycled by the Creek today-some kids were playing in like it was a mud puddle.
I told the kids there that it was  a Salmon bearing stream and no one was to enter the water/disturb the place-no response-then asked the oldest one if she spoke English-no.
So the only other language I speak (sort of) is Spanish so I said "Hablas Espagnol"?
When she nodded I explained that there were many small fish in the river-remember it ain't my first language.
I also shouted at the kids who weren't moving at all the same thing.
I had to be careful as I learned most of my Spanish from Mexican fishermen so some words aren't exactly polite.The kids then  started to move and I cycled off-if I had stayed I might have become less polite.
I hate stupid people.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:07:34 AM »

I cycled by the Creek today-some kids were playing in like it was a mud puddle.
I told the kids there that it was  a Salmon bearing stream and no one was to enter the water/disturb the place-no response-then asked the oldest one if she spoke English-no.
So the only other language I speak (sort of) is Spanish so I said "Hablas Espagnol"?
When she nodded I explained that there were many small fish in the river-remember it ain't my first language.
I also shouted at the kids who weren't moving at all the same thing.
I had to be careful as I learned most of my Spanish from Mexican fishermen so some words aren't exactly polite.The kids then  started to move and I cycled off-if I had stayed I might have become less polite.
I hate stupid people.

Are there any signs?  Like "Stay out of the creek - Max fine $10K - DFO" or anything like that?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 07:41:07 AM »

There are some signs I recall. Whether they are still there is another matter.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:15:53 PM »

The gall of some people to poach fish and to eat it nearby is unbelievable.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 06:46:24 PM »

sounds like some homeless people in the area did that. no where to go.no where to sleep. hungry all day and they see a salmon swimming by there feet..hmmmmm . i woudn't be surprised.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 06:56:05 PM »

There are signs on the logs there are signs on the bridge. ::)

phatwop

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:15 AM »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of homeless people living in the bushes near Spanish banks as well as the odd Hostel youth from out of town who thinks that grabbing a salmon out of a small creek is cool. Many parents in the area don't care that their little ones are playing around in the water and messing up a spawning ground, as they can't read the posted signs because of language difficulties.
Maybe they need larger signs ( without them having to be 6 feet by 6 feet) with a few different languages on them as the lower mainland has become very multi-cultural and not everyone seems to be able to read english unfortunately..

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 09:23:11 AM »

And for some it doesn't matter if they understand what the sign says, they'll just break the law.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »

Then report them and fine their @$$E$!!!!!!!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of homeless people living in the bushes near Spanish banks as well as the odd Hostel youth from out of town who thinks that grabbing a salmon out of a small creek is cool. Many parents in the area don't care that their little ones are playing around in the water and messing up a spawning ground, as they can't read the posted signs because of language difficulties.
Maybe they need larger signs ( without them having to be 6 feet by 6 feet) with a few different languages on them as the lower mainland has become very multi-cultural and not everyone seems to be able to read english unfortunately..

I have never thought that ignorance of the laws of the land was a valid excuse. Language problems are no problem either---it's their fault...PERIOD. No "ignorance is bliss plea" ever got someone off the hook for murder of a person....so there ya go.

FINE 'EM BIG!

No_way

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 06:41:51 PM »

I have never thought that ignorance of the laws of the land was a valid excuse. Language problems are no problem either---it's their fault...PERIOD. No "ignorance is bliss plea" ever got someone off the hook for murder of a person....so there ya go.

FINE 'EM BIG!

well.. very true; however, I think the point was to inform people and stop them from killing the fish.  Not to get big fines after the deed is done.  Big fines don't spawn.