Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Pink Run - Fraser River  (Read 8129 times)

noobfisher

Re: 2011 Pink Run - Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

I have nothing to compare it to since this was my first pink season, although I was able to get into a fair bit of action as I went out at least a dozen times .... it did not really live up to the hype.  I think a lot of it was the commercial openings, when I was out and there were openings, boy was it ever quiet.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »

Are there not commercial openings for every pink run? Is there some particular reason why this year's commercial fishery would impact sport fishing more than previous years (ie catch quotas or timings)?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »

With no scientific basis at all I would have to agree that the commercial opening had a big impact.  The runs on the Washington puget sound rivers were very plentiful (i.e. the Snohomish and Skagit).  But I also wonder how many Fraser fish strayed to other rivers - I know pinks do this far more than sockeye.  The high water level/turbidity and or water temperature could always be factors.

jon5hill

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

Are there not commercial openings for every pink run? Is there some particular reason why this year's commercial fishery would impact sport fishing more than previous years (ie catch quotas or timings)?

Canada used most of their TAC on Pinks this year rather than targetting Sockeye.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »

My own experience on the Fraser this year was as good or better than two years ago.  I fish mostly around Crescent Island and the water quality was not as good this year and I did not see as many fish (especially on the north side of the island), but I still caught as many fish as I did during the previous run.
Not all those who wander are lost

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »

last numbers i saw were 7.5 million taken from 17 million run, i spoke to a commercial fisherman and he said catches were poor in area 29 seiners and gillnetters. most were taken in area 12 johnstone straits and u.s. waters.  in 2009  the run was 19.5 million, catch only 2.8 million so escapement was 16.5 million compared to 9.5 mil this year thats why it was not so easy this year.  

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

It was abysmal compared to '09. 

This season I landed 4 in about 12 outings.
'09 season I landed about 40 of them.

From talking to others I think it was much the same for most out there.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »

It was abysmal compared to '09. 

This season I landed 4 in about 12 outings.
'09 season I landed about 40 of them in the same number of outings.

From talking to others I think it was much the same for most out there.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »

I was overeager and started too early, though I did manage to get a very large chrome doe on Aug. 21st.
I didn't fish much after Sept. 1st (I was stillwater fishing), but I averaged a fish per half hour of effort in 4 outings in the Fort Langley area using flies and spoons.
I saw no illegal activity in any of my trips and everyone seemed relatively happy even with fewer fish. Overall I'm more than pleased with the Pink season.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »

i think the lower fraser water clarity was just dismall. i have never seen the freshet last so long into september leaving the water so turbid. the go to lures did not generate many bites. most of the pinks probably never saw lures go past them it was that cloudy sometimes. i think july wasn't hot enough to clean the fraser river enough for good fishing conditions. been fishing for pinks since 1995 and this is the worst year 3 total landed. saw many fisherman every outing leave empty handed as well. maybe 2013 will be better. i give the 2011 pink run a thumbs down. :(

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »

Thought the pink season was very good, was into pinks every location I went to, timing is everything

JPW

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

I didn't know what to expect going in to the season, but overall I was very impressed.  Lots of fish to catch, but like others have said, you had to be at the right place at the right time (tides) to really have good time.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »

i agree with the guy/gal who pointed out that for at least the first 10 days of September or so, the water clarity was brutal - there was no visibility!  It definitely made things a little tougher, and the first 10 days of Sept. were when I saw the most fish, by far (like fish jumping everywhere during high tide).  But the second and third week of September, i didn't see nearly as many fish jumping/rolling; and compared to 2009, I saw tons of fish jumping/rolling everywhere during the high tides well into the 3rd week of September.

All that being said, this was by far my best year for pinks.  I caught fish on every outing except for 2 days, and I probably went out at least 15 - 20 days.  Mostly because i didn't find my spot until about half-way through the previous pink run.  But this year I knew exactly where to go, when to go, what to use, and how to use it! (my hooking - vs. - landing ratio was pretty bad this year too)

redlad

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

Timing was very important this year, much more so than other years.  Trust me far fewer fish made it through to spawn  than in years past.   :'(