Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 8122 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »

Ware fleece underneath, sure helps. Dries fast, get the pants as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 07:39:07 PM »

Even my Simms will soak through on the ugliest days.
A good fleece sweater underneath is worth its keep on days like that.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 08:40:59 PM »

I usually layer it up, long undies on the first layer, a t-shirt or what have you on the second, a nice warm fleece after that and then sometimes another warmer layer like a down vest and finally the outer shell. I also have a gortex hat with a fleece lining that comes in handy.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 10:50:35 PM »

I wear an Arc'Teryx Alpha SV jacket which I purchased in 2001 brand new from Coast Mountain Sports so it has the lifetime warranty. Awesome jacket to wear, excellent casting jacket that offers superb range of motion and comfort - the body of the jacket doesn't moves very little when move your arms up.  So, it makes an great casting jacket and it has lots of useful pockets and two large front chest pockets. The CRAPPY part of the jacket is that the high tech waterproof zippers are shreading apart which is disappointing because I only wore this jacket a few dozen times and it started shreading apart! The jacket was never abused it I never really wore it in the rain when it started to happen. Ironically, this jacket was designed with extreme alpine mountain conditions. I recently took action  and I sent an email to Arc'teryx just last week and they never replied to me yet. Therefore, I will never purchase Arc'Teryx products and I recommend others don't buy Arc'teryx products right now.  Arc'teryx is like BMW... innovative engineering, design, and performance but lackluster in short and long term quality.  If you're familiar with JD Power and Associates in the automotive reviews, Arc'Teryx deserves "The Rest" in overall quality.

If you want proven waterproof outwear, I recommend Taiga jackets. They are more reliable and they're cheaper too.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 12:24:12 PM »

I use my grandpa's old hip  wader's although they are a little big!!! They are so heavy they have to be antiques.

Speaking from experience here! Steely, you and the youngun should really consider saving up and getting a decent pair of waders that FIT! Those "cheap hipwaders" or "heavy antiques" can and will get you into serious trouble, very quickly. Damned near drowned in a set of those, many many years ago. NEVER again! You spend some pretty serious coin aquiring the proper rods, reels and more. Save a few sheckles up and get the right waders! Seriously, how much is your life worth to you??

I wear Sea Tux waders, bulletproof and of course dry. Layered under them with polys and more polys. Upper, poly LS shirt, poly sweater, and a Bare Kodiak to cover all. Stay dry even in 10-12 hours of serious sky-water! If you await the rains to quit, you'll never get out there (at least on the Wet Coast that is).

Cheers,
Nog

allwaysfishin

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:10 PM »

nothin beats waterproof breathable rain gear. Over the past 2 years i have invested well in excess of 4000.00 to outfit myself for the elements. I hunt as well as fish and 75% of my hunting is in less than optimum weather conditions. The camoflauge jacket you see me wearing in most of my fishin pics is a Columbia jacket which is 100% waterproof, windproof and fully breathable, and ultra soft,  I wouldn't trade it for any other jacket out there. I have fished and hunted in absolute torrential downpour and have always stayed dry and warm.
  When I'm fishing this time of year and into steelhead season, I wear 20below socks, bare climate control plus pants and top, breathable insulated hunting bibs under my bare ultra light waders, a heavy weight fleece jacket and last, my columbia hunting jacket. these combined with a fleece toque and waterproof insulated fingerless gloves, I have yet to be cold on the river or in the bush.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »

I PERSONALY LIKE GREEN GARBAGE BAGS

TO  PUT MY FISH IN !

phatwop

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:27 PM »

I PERSONALY LIKE GREEN GARBAGE BAGS

I've had to use them on the odd occasion and they work surprising well, but you end up getting some wet arms. :)

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=raincoatnl2.jpg

TO  PUT MY FISH IN !