Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye - ratio of females to males  (Read 5544 times)

Tylsie

Sockeye - ratio of females to males
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »

I am curious what everyone else is finding, or if what I experienced was just a fluke. With 3 families and a few friends wanting socks it was just easier and financially smarter to go and buy them from the commercials. Out of the 30 fish I got only 4 were males. Was this just a weird coincidence and his nets just got into a school of females (do they school up by sex?); or has anyone else experienced this?

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye - ratio of females to males
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »

I believe that the males return first - that's the way I've seen for pinks but it may be different for sockeye.

You may be seeing the tail end of the early run as the Adams run may be just starting to stage.

I bought some commercial fish the other day and I don't like the fact that they aren't bled.
Make for a bit of extra work cleaning the fish to get rid of the blood.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:39 PM »

It's almost even with me. Slightly more males tho

jeetS

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »

Out of 40 fish id say about 5 were female for me

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »

Out of 40 fish id say about 5 were female for me

40 - wow. Well done. I miss stacking away that much sockeye in years past. Nice to have socks once or twice a week.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »

40? must be fishing the ocean right...because 16 days since the opening x2 limit...everyone should have at most 32 fish lol  :P

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »

Well, I don't have quite those numbers, but all 8 of mine have been male, and 6/8 for my dad, so that makes 1/8 female for us so far.  But yes, I assumed it was because we caught the early part of the run, and females return later.  Hopefully the commercial net size doesn't favor females this year . . .

dave c

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 03:56:13 AM »

40? must be fishing the ocean right...because 16 days since the opening x2 limit...everyone should have at most 32 fish lol  :P
x2

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »

Oh come on - he didn't say how many people were involved in catching. Heck, even if he took his kid, dad or wife a couple days he could easily take those numbers - if the fishing was good. Let's not dwell on actual numbers when we don't know the full story. It doesn't matter other than I miss not having an aug/sept with a freezer full of sockeye. A sockeye per week all winter would sure be nice. Yes - I'm jealous.  ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »

With 3 families and a few friends wanting socks it was just easier and financially smarter to go and buy them from the commercials.

--Second sentence seems to indicate the socks were a legal purchase.

--as to the question, from observing kokanee at a counting station. the fish come into the counting trap at night, each morning they are counted by sex and released upstream of the trap. they seem to come in waves...some days mostly male some days mostly female. have not seen enough of it to establish a pattern but I am sure someone has some research paper on it.

--I will not risk making a joke and offending those who wonder why the fish are only categorized as male or female.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:30:18 PM by skaha »

GordJ

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »

Read the post, your comprehension level must be low.lol

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »

Im not going to get into this with you...he either bought 40 salmon or he caught them lol...only making a cheeky quip...it has nothing to do with a lack of comprehension you imbecile...

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »

Oh come on - he didn't say how many people were involved in catching. Heck, even if he took his kid, dad or wife a couple days he could easily take those numbers - if the fishing was good. Let's not dwell on actual numbers when we don't know the full story. It doesn't matter other than I miss not having an aug/sept with a freezer full of sockeye. A sockeye per week all winter would sure be nice. Yes - I'm jealous.  ;D

I am being cheeky...MY EMOJI SAYS IT ALL OLDTIMERS!...I do not come across as accusatory at all!

dobrolub

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 07:36:13 PM »

I've seen more males on my hook

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

4 more males this evening - even though I thought for sure the little 4 pounder was a doe.  That brings it to 9/10 males for us.