Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet boat question  (Read 3632 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Jet boat question
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »

Im in the market for a bigger boat and was wondering if it possible to convert a mercury Jet pump motor into a prop powered one? Also can you use a jet motor in salt water?
weeeeeeeeeow!

tnt

Re: Jet boat question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »

yes it is possible, but you do have to weigh the cost of it... Jet pumps can be used in saltwater they are just not as good as a prop... what kind of boat/pump combo are looking at?
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »

an older 18ft hewes boat with a mercury 65horse  at the pump.
weeeeeeeeeow!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »

hewes = tin can
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »

kingpin=beek ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »

65 hp jet will barely get up on plane with a 18' boat and 2 fishermen with gear. 

tnt

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:29:42 AM »

65 hp jet will barely get up on plane with a 18' boat and 2 fishermen with gear. 

I wouldnt say that at all... 65 at the pump is a 90 Powerhead pushing an 790LB boat should get up just fine for what most people want... granted it might not do 45MPH but it will run skinnier than most... I would have a good look at the bottom and invest a little into a skid plate... check compression and clean up the carb and you should be fine...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:13:32 PM »

I guess it all depends on the hull.  Is it a jet specific hull?  Is it a v-hull or flat bottom?  What's the fuel capacity?  What's the age of the motor.  Newer technology will get more umph than older, so your 1980 65 hp motor may not do as well as a 2008.  I know it won't do 45, personally, I'd be surprised if it will do 25.  Throw on a canvas top, gear, 48 gallons of fuel and 2 180 lb adults and some waves and and wind and you will be lucky to get on plane.  You will see increased efficiency and top speed with a prop.  With all this said, you may want to look really hard at this boat and see if it really fits your needs.  It would really suck to end up with a boat that you need to replace the motor.   

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies..as for using it in salt..would I just rinse the pump and motor down after. Or is it not a wise choice to use  the jet in salt?

As far as the motor goes the owner said he has had no probelms what so ever getting it up on plane.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:36:49 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

Do more than rinse it off.  I'd take it to freshwater and run it.  This goes for both jet and prop. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »

One more thing.  Ask him to take you out on a ride.  Put it through it's motions and get a feel for the boat.  Good luck.  I love owning a boat.  It can be a lot of work some times, but IMO worth it. 

umpo4

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »

90/ 65 is good for all smaller rigs

warlo_527

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »

Make sure you have anodes/zincs on the pump/motor which is exposed. Ideally put her in fresh water and run it, but that's not very practical. I would wash/flush it the best I could and also use products such as salt away or salt terminator (I hear they work great). There is also products such as corrision block (mercury product) that you can use in the high vulnerable areas such as bare aluminum were it meets a dissimiliar metal. (cover snaps, tie down hooks, etc).

umpo4

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »

The Hewes craft is a fairly light boat ,,,,, a 90/65 should puch it just fine. The pump impeller can be re-set to make it efficient if it hasn't been adjusted for a while. I see lots of jets on the Fraser that are not set correctly. I have a friend with an 18 hews w/ an old 75/50 and its SLOW. So as Rod says go for a ride first................