Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1344170 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2145 on: January 15, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »

" Yeah that what it was..."

"you might want to clean up your own act, especially your spelling and grammar"

you where saying......or trying to say.....

Oh yes...I forgot to say that you might want to add some original thought to your posts on this topic instead of cut and pasting most of the time.  Thanks for the reminder.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2146 on: January 15, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »

fishfarm bawb did at one time. :)
Pat yourself on the back TB. You got something right for a change.  Has Doc Morton? Back to you. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:11:57 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2147 on: January 15, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »

From yesterday, Eddie.
Net-Pen Fish Farms - Stop Playing Russian Roulette with Wild Salmon!

People from all backgrounds answered the call to raise public awareness and deliver the message of a call to action on testing farmed salmon immediately that would involve First Nations being involved in all the steps, and selecting scientists to do the testing. We all urge the Honourable Hunter Tootoo to meet with Alexandra Morton, Rick Routledge, Kristi Miller, Dr. Kibenge and the First Nation Wild Salmon Alliance.

News of the first published evidence that a European variant of the infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) is present in British Columbia is extremely disturbing, and stakeholders are legitimately alarmed. The peer-reviewed study was published in the Virology Journal, a scientific publication from BioMed Central, a leading academic open access publisher in the areas of biology, medicine and health. Co-author Dr. Rick Routledge said that the potential of the ISA virus to be contributing to widespread decline in sockeye salmon populations must not be taken lightly. Dr. Alexandra Morton, independent biologist with Raincoast Research Society, stated, “This work gives B.C. and our U.S. neighbors the opportunity to avoid tragic consequences, but immediate steps must be taken.”

This study adds to our grave concerns about fish farms, and they must be removed from the ocean,” asserted Shane John, a Katz First Nation fisher.

“It is extremely urgent for the Liberal government to meet with scientists publishing on the ISA virus, and the First Nations Wild Salmon Alliance (FNWSA) to avoid the unimaginable – the loss or disappearance of wild salmon due to viruses such as ISA,” stated Jim Hobart, Chief of the Spuzzum First Nation (east of Yale, B.C.) and member of the FNWSA. “The fish farm industry approach of attacking the peer-reviewed science only emphasizes the need for immediate open and transparent virus testing of farmed salmon in those open-net pens,” added Chief Hobart.

“We are all in favour of long overdue testing of ocean farmed salmon, but what is also required is an immediate stop to any expansion of open-net farms on the migration routes of wild salmon,” insisted Chief Michelle Lee Edwards of Sekw’el’wes First Nation in Lillooet.

The Ahousaht First Nation made the historic decision in 2015 to have a fish farm removed from their territory. “By not allowing this fish farm in our territory, we gave the wild salmon of the Atleo River a fighting chance to survive, and we protected nearby clam beds to feed future generations,” said Lennie John of Ahousaht First Nation. “To me, this study reconfirms fish farms don’t belong in the ocean,” Lennie added.

"Open-net fish farms could very well be ticking virus bombs, and raises the spectre of wild salmon vanishing, with devastating consequences for biodiversity and the wild salmon economy, warned Eddie Gardner, Coordinator of the Wild Salmon Defenders Alliance. "To prevent this, we need to honor the precautionary principle by removing open-net fish farms from the ocean," Eddie said emphatically.

We were honoured by Coleen Thomas of the Tseil Waututh who welcomed us to the territory shared by the Tseil Waututh, Musqueam and Squamish. She said she was in solidarity and her heart was full of good feelings to be in solidarity with the people at the rally and what we stood for. OCM!"

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2148 on: January 15, 2016, 11:34:06 PM »

So, now Dr. Miller-Saunders is being mentioned again by activists, but her previous retro-analysis work in 2011 with ISAv-like sequences was not worth mentioning in the study.  Eddie did a good job cut and pasting all those statements together. If Morton is so concerned about our US neighbours then why didn't she collect some wild, farmed or ranch salmon samples from Washington State and Alaska? She had no problem obtaining samples from First Nation fishers here so why didn't she try asking First Nations in the US? 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2149 on: January 16, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »

So, now Dr. Miller-Saunders is being mentioned again by activists, but her previous retro-analysis work in 2011 with ISAv-like sequences was not worth mentioning in the study.  Eddie did a good job cut and pasting all those statements together. If Morton is so concerned about our US neighbours then why didn't she collect some wild, farmed or ranch salmon samples from Washington State and Alaska? She had no problem obtaining samples from First Nation fishers here so why didn't she try asking First Nations in the US?
As you know this is a very big file and one can only do so much, it is more than just being able to sit behind a computer like you and I typing out responses to each other. Have a good weekend, I will be back posting on Monday, time to rest over the weekend. ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2150 on: January 16, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »

As you know this is a very big file and one can only do so much, it is more than just being able to sit behind a computer like you and I typing out responses to each other. Have a good weekend, I will be back posting on Monday, time to rest over the weekend. ;D

Yes, posting propaganda and conducting faulty science can take up a bunch of time from actually doing something constructive for our fisheries.  Have a great weekend yourself. I will look forward to more "beetle dung" on this topic as Absolon used to call it.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2151 on: January 16, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »

Yes, posting propaganda and conducting faulty science can take up a bunch of time from actually doing something constructive for our fisheries.  Have a great weekend yourself. I will look forward to more "beetle dung" on this topic as Absolon used to call it.  ;D
Where is Abby these days?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2152 on: January 16, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »

Fishing :D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2153 on: January 17, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »

Check this thread 47 pages, before you came on the scene. ;D ;D ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28342.0
Same old lol. Perhaps you can tell me what Doc Morton was right with then or what she has got right since then. Or perhaps Alex can come back on FWR and reply for herself.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2154 on: January 19, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »

Yes, posting propaganda and conducting faulty science can take up a bunch of time from actually doing something constructive for our fisheries. Have a great weekend yourself. I will look forward to more "beetle dung" on this topic as Absolon used to call it.  ;D

And besides working up a typing storm- what do you do? (besides spewing belittling arrogant rants? ;) ;D ;D) Kudos to Chris for actually doing something other than sitting at a computer, arguing with his computer.....
(9 page retort coming soon! ;D)

I'm back! :) ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:43:54 AM by Novabonker »
http://

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2156 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »

And besides working up a typing storm- what do you do? (besides spewing belittling arrogant rants? ;) ;D ;D) Kudos to Chris for actually doing something other than sitting at a computer, arguing with his computer.....

Sigh...

Well if you actually followed this along better you would have noticed that the criticism about doing something constructive for our fisheries was directed at Alexandra Morton and not Chris.  She apparently has a lot of time posting her propaganda and conducting poor science (Chris is not conducting any science that I am aware of) instead of being more diligent in her sampling design.

However, the "beetle dung" comment was directed at Chris as that is my opinion on those media articles he posts about fish farms (this term was used by Absolon awhile back with Chris).  Why don't you go back a few posts and see. Once again, you go off half cocked and end up with your foot in your mouth.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:29:40 PM by shuswapsteve »

GordJ

« Reply #2157 on: January 19, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »

Now that you are back can we expect more name calling to go along with threats of legal action? I have a friend that would describe your actions as that of an immature, impotent fool with a hero worship complex. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment but that is what I think he would say if I asked him. Run that opinion by your legal eagle prop and see if it is actionable.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2158 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »

Now that you are back can we expect more name calling to go along with threats of legal action? I have a friend that would describe your actions as that of an immature, impotent fool with a hero worship complex. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment but that is what I think he would say if I asked him. Run that opinion by your legal eagle prop and see if it is actionable.

Edit- I had a sharper response, but let's just say the irony of your post speaks for itself. ::)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:04:24 AM by Novabonker »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2159 on: January 20, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »

Sigh...

Well if you actually followed this along better you would have noticed that the criticism about doing something constructive for our fisheries was directed at Alexandra Morton and not Chris.  She apparently has a lot of time posting her propaganda and conducting poor science (Chris is not conducting any science that I am aware of) instead of being more diligent in her sampling design.

However, the "beetle dung" comment was directed at Chris as that is my opinion on those media articles he posts about fish farms (this term was used by Absolon awhile back with Chris).  Why don't you go back a few posts and see. Once again, you go off half cocked and end up with your foot in your mouth.

Fingers sore? I expected at least 25 paragraphs...... ;)