Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct. 20  (Read 1340 times)

dspot

Vedder Oct. 20
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »

After seeing that the river had dropped a little bit overnight, I decided to head up at first light and hope that it was fishable. The drive to Chilliwack was a little discouraging since it was pouring most of the way, but luckily it was dry and cloudy once I arrived. I was surprised to be the first one in the parking lot at 6:45 on a Saturday-- I guess most people assumed that the river was blown out. I was pretty happy to see that although the river was pretty high, there was some visibility and it was definitely fishable. When it became light enough to see I started fishing a few spots in the lower river. The first 30 minutes only resulted in a chum so I moved onto a small side pool. I fished a seam with some roe and quickly managed to hook into and land a smallish wild coho. After having no hits on the roe in the next little while, I switched to blades. By this time all the regulars had arrived and were occupying their usual spots and were fishing using their usual methods. I was soon joined by 2 locals who were trying to get away from the snaggers -- they were not shy about voicing their displeasure with them. I guess they brought the fish with them as all 3 of us hooked into fish pretty quickly. I managed to hook 4 fish, releasing 2 more wild coho, both larger than the previous one. The other 2 guys landed several fish between them, including a very fresh, large wild male. I guess there are still new fish moving in. Things then died down, so I decided to head to a mid river spot that should not be crowded. At the new spot I saw many dark springs and chum surfacing, but no coho, or fishermen, to be seen. I fished anyways, making my way back down river as I did. After a couple of hours I had only managed to hook 1 fish that I lost -- I think it was a jack spring. I was almost ready to go home, but decided to use the rest of my roe since I only had a little left. A few minutes later, I began the "last cast ritual" which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I was fishing roe in pocket water. To my surprise (on my very last cast ;)), my float shot down and I saw a good sized hatchery coho shoot to the surface. I carefully landed it and decided not to push my luck and called it a day.

Overall, a good day on the water -- some fish hooked, great weather (no rain, cloudy, not too cold) and below average crowds.

charles

Re: Vedder Oct. 20
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:23:25 AM »

Nice one...  More roe for the next trip :) 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »

I love those last cast hook-ups.  Thanks for the update.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »

Way to persevere...it's funny how long it takes to get in that last cast sometimes.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:15:27 PM »

Nice Job man.  I was out yesterday as well.  Pretty slow for those of us who couldn't bring oursleves to line Coho at Slab and Limit.  Was rather surprised at who I saw up there when I was sitting on the bank for a bit watching the sad show.  Tried my hand there for about 30 min as well, but could not produce a hit.  For the day, I hit 4 springs, 3 of them in great shape, losing the best one when a long liner who was in the hole all day got pissed that he couldn't hit anything, so he casts over my line and yanks the fish off.  Thus leaving my Ultra green get into a tangled mess with the ****** fireline. >:(   Was gonna retie, but we decided to just leave. ::)  Minnie me hit a nice, incredibly chrome Ho in the afternoon, a 5 or so lb hatch and that was pretty much it for the day.  Oh and I hit a dark Jack... but that was about it. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!