Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: natives netting on the vedder above crossing!  (Read 13094 times)

buckjr

Re: natives netting on the vedder above crossing!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »

Sandman, do you have your head in the sand? The fact that DFO has allowed any sort of First Nations opening on the Chilliwack system is brutal. Its a terrible precedent to set on a system that has never seem a FN fishery before (other than last year). There is no reason for the application to have been approved. DFO is a joke for even considering this.  Now that the foot is in the door for the First Nations on the Chilliwack/Vedder, it will be easier and easier for them to gain further access and more opportunities.

Look at last year for example.  100000 escapement before being given the opportunity to fish with dip and seine nets. One year later, 50000 escapement before being able to fish with dip, seine and DRIFT nets.  See that pattern?????? Throw in the lack of enforcement of the fishery and the joke credibility of monitoring the number of fish caught, this is not a good scenario.

You wait, the next applications being entered will be for other species on the river, likely in the fall.  Enjoy fishing coho above that gill net. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:36:03 PM by buckjr »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »

No there are not, it's simply a proposal that is being discussed right now. There isn't an official opening currently.

I meant in previous years.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »

I was fishing beside a native fellow the other day and he killed 4 springs and two sockeye. Treble hooks and lead were the lure of choice. As GS said it's a waste of time reporting them as nothing ever happens.

And you didn't call RAPP?
Why complain?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

Buck, This morning I was at the same place you seen that native fellow. There Is now a net suspended across the frog water, from the dike to the log on the other side. I didn't stay more then 20 minutes, and in that time I did not see one sockeye rise.

I know the frog water you're talking about and it's always like that. Every year.
I find some crap in the water, lines, nets, dead fish etc..
Last year down to the next good run DFO confiscated a lot of gear from FN flossers.
I have never seen it happen during the day and I think they must be doing it at night.
Fish travel at night so it's a good time to do it.

dcajaxs

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »

its no different on the Fraser.  went on a guided sturgeon trip in the am yesterday.  It was busy on the water as many people were having a go for the springs.  After reading the latest sockeye update I thought I might see one or two nets in the fraser as the notice said Limited openings in the upper fraser.  It was full out net season.  Saw a couple drift nets right at island 22.  And between the boat launch and the vedder river had to have seen upwards of 7 plus nets.  Really sad as no one follows the rules for how our current system.  Everyone to themselves.  Our guide mentioned he'd rather see it closed entirely for the season and it just be crappy fishing than know that four years from now it would be even worse than this year.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »

Sandman, do you have your head in the sand? The fact that DFO has allowed any sort of First Nations opening on the Chilliwack system is brutal. Its a terrible precedent to set on a system that has never seem a FN fishery before (other than last year). There is no reason for the application to have been approved. DFO is a joke for even considering this.  Now that the foot is in the door for the First Nations on the Chilliwack/Vedder, it will be easier and easier for them to gain further access and more opportunities.

The reasoning is sound: give a limited opening on a terminal fishery like the upper chilliwack (above any recreational fishing) and you reduced the impact on other fisheries.  It sounds like you would actually rather they have their nets on the lower river or the Fraser where their nets would intercept endangered Thompson steelhead and other endangered runs.

Look at last year for example.  100000 escapement before being given the opportunity to fish with dip and seine nets. One year later, 50000 escapement before being able to fish with dip, seine and DRIFT nets.  See that pattern?????? Throw in the lack of enforcement of the fishery and the joke credibility of monitoring the number of fish caught, this is not a good scenario.
Was the target for the opening 1000 last year or was it more?

You wait, the next applications being entered will be for other species on the river, likely in the fall.  Enjoy fishing coho above that gill net.
The Slippery Slope is a logical fallacy and has no weight in the debate.
Not all those who wander are lost

jacked55

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »

I agree with the Bucks. It seems year after year DFO makes worse and worse decisions on managment of fish stocks. I understand that they are extremely understaffed and its only getting worse but when is enough going to be enough. If they keep managing stocks this way, its not going to be long before there is only a FN opening and no recreational. IMO, the target limits should reflect everyones abilitity to fish not just one group. If the numbers are too low, then close it for all. Don't pick and choose special openings here and there. I really dont think you would have many rec anglers complaining if DFO said, no openeing for anyone, the only real complaints you get are they waffle on decisions.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »

I just seen a tote full of sockeye the guy was fueling  his truck at the gas station where I used to work. I asked what he had. and he confirmed he had 540 sockeye from the vedder/chwk and that they are 10 bucks a fish. I reported his plates to DFO and got the usual. no one is available and they will look into it....

So I wonder, if they harvested 540 already then they are almost done their 1000 fish limit. But why offer to sell them to me if there used for foodstuff.....

This is why I have problems with their "right to fish"....
Feed your communities and fulfill your cultural obligations no problem. but sell for profit.....  bull****
Tight lines to all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »

First Nations will be proceeding with the following fisheries in the upper Chilliwack River (above Chilliwack River Hatchery) and Chilliwack Lake.  The Chilliwack Lake Sockeye fishery started this morning (6am) with a dip net fishery.  This fishery was also designed by First Nations, DFO and the input of the UFV SFAC (from previous discussions or concerns delivered through email) to avoid overlap fisheries with the recreational community by specific areas and timing of these fisheries to eliminate all potential conflict along the river.

A couple of key important messages

·       There are registered dip netters and registered drift and set net fishers.  Only those that are on the licence are able to fish at this time.

·       Drift and Set net fishers are limited to 1 fisher per community with their names or alternates on the licence.

·       The target is for 1400 sockeye.  And will be closed once target has been met.

·       Dip nets start at 6am and go until 9pm both Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.  (Daylight only)

·       Drift and set nets go from 8pm until 8am both Tuesday and Wednesday night this week.  (Late evening through to following morning, no fishing during the day).

·       Drift and set nets will be fishing at the outlet of the lake, in the lake, and the mouth of Dolly Varden Creek into the lake.

·       FVAFS (Catch Monitoring program for First Nations Fisheries) will be stationed at key locations above the hatchery and around the lake to monitor all gear types.

·       C&P have been notified about the opening.  As well as DFO catch monitoring staff to assist in monitoring this fishery.

·       Any fishery in the Chilliwack system may encounter radio/acoustic/conventional tagged sockeye from lower river tagging projects.  Fishers have been informed to advise the FVAFS monitoring crew if they encounter and submit any of these tags.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

I don't believe the dip netters will be successful but I can see a gillnet at the outlet (or in) Dolly Varden catching a few ...  Hope this is monitored properly, and I hope DFO is studying this system to determine why returns are increasing, and if the lake can actually rear the many juveniles that are in the lake now from last years record escapement.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 03:48:42 AM »

Dave, which escapement are you talking about? is there a link I can read about this?
Tight lines to all

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

Dave, which escapement are you talking about? is there a link I can read about this?
Sorry, just back from watching the Blue Jays in Seattle.  I don't have the link but should be easy to find on the DFO website - or Rod will help us out- but I believe it was something near 120k.  This lake is considered not as productive as say Cultus or most interior lakes that rear sockeye, so if a good egg to fry survival from these Chwk L fish, most of which spawn in or near Washington State, resulted in lots of fry, that could deplete the low plankton populations, the grits sockeye eat for a year or two in a lake.   And that means that the fry that will enter the lake this spring 2014 may find very little to eat.
Unless the water chemistry has changed in the last 5 years, or the egg to fry survival is minimal, I doubt the lake can support this many fry to migrant size.  It may well be that DFO is checking on this and is monitoring the lake as they did in the past, staff based from the Cultus Lake Laboratory.
Perhaps some people more in the loop from this forum can chime in.

dnibbles

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »

Yes, Dan and the boys from the lab have been working up on Chilliwack Lake this year.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »

Thanks nibs; great opportunity for some serious research here.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

Thanks nibs; great opportunity for some serious research here.
Looking for a virus I am sure. ;D ;D