Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CFIA Switches Gears To Preventing Deadly Salmon Virus  (Read 8993 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: CFIA Switches Gears To Preventing Deadly Salmon Virus
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »

Technically the second part of this statement is true.

You can believe what you like but this certainly was not the case in 2010.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 08:00:59 AM »

You can believe what you like but this certainly was not the case in 2010.
Pretty sure Nibs meant all salmon swimming anywhere in the ocean will eventually die ;)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »

I see, I see. OK. ;D
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »

It amazes me that you find humor in this .....

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/560622-biologist-virus-could-kill-aquaculture

“This spells the end of the salmon farming industry in the Maritimes unless they can persuade people to eat salmon infected with an influenza-type virus......."

Shouldn't be a problem........  as long as they label the product   

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2013/02/the-canadian-food-inspection-agency-cfia-has-declared-240000-isa-virus-contaminated-feedlot-salmon-are-fit-for-canadian-co.html
Utter garbage again from Ms. Morton.
Along side the farmed Atlantic salmon sold in Chilliwack where I live are salmon labelled as wild sockeye – most of these are Alaskan but some, depending on population abundance and timing are actually BC fish.   I would bet a pension cheque that if these wild sockeye were tested for a common west coast virus, IHN (another CFIA reportable virus harmless to humans but sometimes deadly to salmonids, like east coast ISA) the results would be positive.   Which means SFA because all farm animals tested in an appropriate manner would show some virus.  As would you and I.

Total fear mongering by a woman who is running out of options to further her cause, IMO.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »

Utter garbage again from Ms. Morton.
Along side the farmed Atlantic salmon sold in Chilliwack where I live are salmon labelled as wild sockeye – most of these are Alaskan but some, depending on population abundance and timing are actually BC fish.   I would bet a pension cheque that if these wild sockeye were tested for a common west coast virus, IHN (another CFIA reportable virus harmless to humans but sometimes deadly to salmonids, like east coast ISA) the results would be positive.   Which means SFA because all farm animals tested in an appropriate manner would show some virus.  As would you and I.

Total fear mongering by a woman who is running out of options to further her cause, IMO.

Bit of a delirious rant......   You may need to cut back on your feedlot salmon diet.  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »

Bit of a delirious rant......   You may need to cut back on your feedlot salmon diet.  ::)

It is a rant which is actually the truth.  Wild salmon can carry numerous pathogens that may only be lethal under certain environmental circumstances.  Some could be acute and quickly kill the host or could be more chronic and not directly kill the host, but could affect the behaviour or growth of the host.  It is quite possible that these wild salmon could make it into your favourite supermarket.  How could this happen?  Well, Ms Morton’s recent testing of wild salmon demonstrated the present of IHNV in wild Chinook, Chum and Sockeye Salmon off our coast.  If these commercially or sport caught salmon were tested it would not surprise me if they had a pathogen like IHNV; however, it is not a big mystery for those that have taken the time to find out more about IHNV and IHN (i.e. pathology, distribution, etc.).  Like ISAV and ISA, IHNV and IHN are also not harmful to humans; however, this is all something that the fear mongerers like you conveniently ignore.

For a list of what pathogens wild Sockeye can have take a look at Technical Report #1 from the Cohen Commission website.  All those pathogens listed are endemic to BC waters and have likely been here for centuries.  Bon appetite. Even Rainbow Trout from your favourite lake or stream in BC likely carries a pathogen or two which may or may not be lethal – again it can be dependent on a number of factors.  Again…bon appetite.  It is not surprising that Morton is embarking on yet another attempt to manufacture another disease epidemic scare in BC by trying to connect it to what is happening in Eastern Canada.  It is also not surprising that she is still ignoring the findings by Justice Cohen on ISAV and ISA.  Perhaps you should cut back on the Morton Kool-Aid.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:42 AM »

Hey Steve, Do you and Dave eat your ISAV atlantic salmon, sushi style?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:48 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2331466296/

This story has legs....    I can't believe CFIA and Cooke farms would release this crap. The rest of the feedlot industry can't be happy with these guys either. It's going to further kill their sales....

The arrogance of the industry thinking they could just slip this stuff into the market and that Canadians would accept it...... As a Canadian, apparently all you need to know is that "sound science" has been applied. What an embarrassment to human intelligence!