Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CFIA Switches Gears To Preventing Deadly Salmon Virus  (Read 8994 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
CFIA Switches Gears To Preventing Deadly Salmon Virus
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/01/28/nb-infectious-salmon-anemia-prevention-730.html

I hope for some comments from Dave, Abby, SS and others on both sides of the debate, I am sure they will come. ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: CFIA Switches Gears To Preventing Deadly Salmon Virus
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/01/28/nb-infectious-salmon-anemia-prevention-730.html

I hope for some comments from Dave, Abby, SS and others on both sides of the debate, I am sure they will come. ;D
And like a hungry Bull Trout, Dave took the bait ...

Not sure what you want Chris as your link says it all ...
"The types of fish that have been confirmed to be susceptible to the virus are: Atlantic herring, Atlantic cod, Atlantic salmon and brown trout."
Are you concerned the fish are being sold?  Are you concerned this could impact Pacific salmon?  Are you concerned for BC Atlantic salmon farmers?
 Or, are you just posting cuz that`s your job ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »

And like a hungry Bull Trout, Dave took the bait ...

Not sure what you want Chris as your link says it all ...
"The types of fish that have been confirmed to be susceptible to the virus are: Atlantic herring, Atlantic cod, Atlantic salmon and brown trout."
Are you concerned the fish are being sold?  Are you concerned this could impact Pacific salmon?  Are you concerned for BC Atlantic salmon farmers?
 Or, are you just posting cuz that`s your job ;D ;D ;D
Hoping for more comments from the big 4 too. ;D ;D ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »

Hoping for more comments from the big 4 too. Grin Grin Grin

Why?  You want to play "pick apart crew" now.  LOL
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

Why?  You want to play "pick apart crew" now.  LOL
Looking like no answers to this one, thats a first. ;D ;D ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

I just don't think there is much to say. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »

I just don't think there is much to say.  
Nice. ;D ;D ;D

Just posted this and LA scored. :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by chris gadsden »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »

Looking like no answers to this one, thats a first. ;D ;D ;D

softly softly catchy monkey

don'y worry Chris their taken the bait
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »

I think the CBC radio host said it best when he said it is “Perception rather than reality”.  In my opinion, for Cooke Aquaculture and other aquaculture on the East coast, I can’t see this decision helping the marketability of their product because nowadays perception overrides reality in many decisions made by consumers.  I understand the reason for the decision and it may have some good intentions behind it, but in this present environment when the industry on the East coast has such a microscope on it and people like Don Staniford and Ms Morton dominate the social media it will be an uphill battle to convince sceptical people.  Personally, I think it plays right into the activists’ hands who will likely start creating posters with mothers holding their babies tightly – looking worried about their next food purchase.

The reality may be that ISA is no harmful to humans and that wild fish sold in stores could also have diseases that are not tested and be equally safe for humans, but if given the choice people will likely steer clear of the Cooke product in favour of another that may not have it.  If people went to the store to purchase a Cooke product and didn’t hear this media coverage they would not know the difference; however, once they hear the media story I wouldn’t doubt this would influence many consumers – especially those that believe everything negative thing they read in the mainstream media and on social media about salmon farming.  There you go, Chris.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »

softly softly catchy monkey

don'y worry Chris their taken the bait
SS is taking it now too I see. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »

I think the CBC radio host said it best when he said it is “Perception rather than reality”.  In my opinion, for Cooke Aquaculture and other aquaculture on the East coast, I can’t see this decision helping the marketability of their product because nowadays perception overrides reality in many decisions made by consumers.  I understand the reason for the decision and it may have some good intentions behind it, but in this present environment when the industry on the East coast has such a microscope on it and people like Don Staniford and Ms Morton dominate the social media it will be an uphill battle to convince sceptical people.  Personally, I think it plays right into the activists’ hands who will likely start creating posters with mothers holding their babies tightly – looking worried about their next food purchase.

The reality may be that ISA is no harmful to humans and that wild fish sold in stores could also have diseases that are not tested and be equally safe for humans, but if given the choice people will likely steer clear of the Cooke product in favour of another that may not have it.  If people went to the store to purchase a Cooke product and didn’t hear this media coverage they would not know the difference; however, once they hear the media story I wouldn’t doubt this would influence many consumers – especially those that believe everything negative thing they read in the mainstream media and on social media about salmon farming.  There you go, Chris.

I almost reached for the kleenex box to wipe away a tear after reading that......    It's unfortunate when the feedlot corporation is unable to sell the unsuspecting consumer a product that would normally be destined for the compost pile.  ::)  ::)  ::)

What bothers me most about this is CFIA's "new" approach to deal with ISA. They say their new approach is to prevent the spread of the disease because they realize they can't eradicate it. Instead of killing of the infected salmon they are now allowing them to continue growing the product till they're ready for market????  What's with that? Meanwhile every wild fish that swims past the pens is being infected and will die.

Maybe these guys have been eating some of this ISA infected feedlot salmon and it's affected their decision making.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

SS is taking it now too I see. ;D ;D ;D

I didn't want you to feel ignored.   ;D

dnibbles

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »

Meanwhile every wild fish that swims past the pens is being infected and will die.

Technically the second part of this statement is true.