Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: boat recommendation  (Read 2877 times)

natepolean

boat recommendation
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »

First time boat owner looking for a small boat for these uses

30% ambleside salmon fishing
30% lake fishing
20% harrison river
20% fraser river

I know one boat can't be good in both the salt and shallow water.  So I'm thinking a good compromise for me is a wide semi-V 14-16' aluminum with 25-40HP prop motor.  Or is jet outboard better choice?  Is it possible to have two outboards and switch between them as needed? 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:38:34 PM by natepolean »

SPEYMAN

Re: boat recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

Looks like 70% of your usage would be best suited by an 18ft flat bottom boat with a 40hp outboard. You could purchase a "jet drive" for that motor and change over as required.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »

It really really depends on how skinny/sketchy water you plan on running in.  Most of the Fraser is prop friendly, with a jet being the safer alternative, same with the Harrison.

If you want to get into that type of water, a jet is necessary.  A no brainer.

If you plan on working the main part of the flows and not going deep into the Harrison, a prop is your best bet as it is a)cheaper to buy, 2) cheaper to run 3) puts out more power. 

BUT, cheaper in those ways mean nothing as soon as you smack your skeg, prop or bust your leg. 

I have a 17.5 foot modified V hull G3 (with 70hp Yamaha, prop) and get slammed getting back to the launch in the afternoon on larger lakes.  Just like this;

It is not pleasant in chop.  But it is GREAT for lateral stability, front and rear casting decks are a dream and can run in relatively skinny water. 

I wouldn't even bother with my boat in the chuck.  (although others will chime in and say they hit Ambleside in canoes just fine, its not for me to get my my friend, lower back and kidneys beat to sh1t fighting the chop in my modV)

You seem to be a new boater, I would stick to a prop and learn to use it safely first, matched to a V hull. 

Just my $.02

Have fun, be safe and enjoy the process.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:02:13 PM by Damien »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:29 AM »

You've provided a widebrush area/usage of the vessel but what is your budget?

How many passengers? Any kids? Is this going to be a part time summer family boat at the lake type? Waterskiing or wakeboards or tubes?

Maybe you are looking for a nice 16' or 18' aluminum v-hull bow rider with an 90hp prop. Something with a folding canopy for wet sturgeon days.

Or a simple 20-21 foot jetboat will work for you.

If you're intending to go on any big water - go with the biggest you can afford. A 16' bowrider or open hull boat with a 40hp works the rivers very well. With a small boat like that I would stick to a prop motor but with a steering console and power lift/ power trim with good electronics to help you navigate the rivers. This is going to give you a lot of options for use and it will certainly get you across big water when needed.

What's your ability to store or haul this rig?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:52:16 AM by Rieber »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »

I had a 16 ft Lund with a 25 hp prop and side console.
Was as versatile as you will find.
I still went through a few props on the Fraser/Harrison.

natepolean

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 11:11:19 AM »

Yeah, right now I'm looking for a 16ft with probably at least 40hp prop.  16 is the biggest I want to go due to cost and storage concerns.  It'll be mainly for fishing with 4 people max in it.  I saw this one on sale, what do you guys think?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/5619956160.html 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »

Must have been a good deal or a scam, cuz it was gone quick.