Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knots  (Read 4351 times)

hrenya

Knots
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

I was wondering if there is a knot kinda like eggloop , but not around the eye of the hook , but on main line , so it can slide and have a loop in it .
Does this even exist ?! or even without sliding but about 2 inches above the hook ...

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Knots
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »

Not sure about a sliding knot, but the non-slip loop knot is probably what you are looking for.  Used to give flies/chironomids more action in the water.

Instructions and video here:

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-fishing-knots/non-slip-mono-loop-video

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »

What Knnn said.

Alternatively, you use a perfection loop:
https://youtu.be/zyJgR70n1kc

hrenya

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

thank a lot , but that's not what I really look for .
my bud showed me knot he is using as a bobber stopper on his main line , so  I was wondering if its possible to use same idea but with some kinda loop in it for bait , so its above the hook . its pretty much not hook to line connection , but line to line . I saw something similar in flyfishing book , but I dunno the name of that . idea is I want my bait above the hook couple inches if its possible . thanks

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »

WHY?
You could make a knot to that, but why?

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »

cuz I saw how bad some fish can be hooked if you use bait right on the hook , including swallowing it
I wanna try to avoid that by setting a hook proper and not to wait until fish swallows it

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »

The knot used to do the bobber stops is a nail knot. You could probably do some sort of noose knot on the tag part of the nail knot if you wanted.

hrenya

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 04:04:38 PM »

The knot used to do the bobber stops is a nail knot. You could probably do some sort of noose knot on the tag part of the nail knot if you wanted.
!!! thanks , that's I guess what I`ve been looking for ...

also if you don't mind I have 2 questions , after  looking your pics and posts , whats better location for bait for dollys : 1) above the hook , 2) on the hook , 3) below the hook , keeping in mind that its c&r

ty in advance ...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »

!!! thanks , that's I guess what I`ve been looking for ...

also if you don't mind I have 2 questions , after  looking your pics and posts , whats better location for bait for dollys : 1) above the hook , 2) on the hook , 3) below the hook , keeping in mind that its c&r

ty in advance ...

I can't say I've ever used bait for dollies. I've only ever caught them on spoons and flies, and the odd one with pink worms or jigs as bycatch.

If I had to guess, I'd say above the hook like you want to. They are predatory and swallow everything. If you use bait, I'm not sure it'll be possible to stop deep hookings. Fast hook sets are key and are probably the most important thing to stop deep hookups.

hrenya

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:38:39 PM »

I can't say I've ever used bait for dollies. I've only ever caught them on spoons and flies, and the odd one with pink worms or jigs as bycatch.

If I had to guess, I'd say above the hook like you want to. They are predatory and swallow everything. If you use bait, I'm not sure it'll be possible to stop deep hookings. Fast hook sets are key and are probably the most important thing to stop deep hookups.
that's exactly why I want to keep my bait above , fast hook sets are the key as well ,  but sometimes **** happens , so u suggest to stick with above as I was trying to do ... thanks a lot for your opinion ....

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »

Never tried it but if you want to keep your bait some distance away from the hook what about a double egg loop where there are two hooks tied in tandem.

Ie: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=337821

Put your bait in the front hook which would have the point cut off at the bend leaving only the shank to comply with the regs.

Or you can cut the point off the trailing hook so the bait trails the hook like in a carp rig. I have no idea which way would result in fewer deep hooks. Downside either way is you wont be able to easily adjust the spacing without retying the whole thing.

hrenya

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

Never tried it but if you want to keep your bait some distance away from the hook what about a double egg loop where there are two hooks tied in tandem.

Ie: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=337821

Put your bait in the front hook which would have the point cut off at the bend leaving only the shank to comply with the regs.

Or you can cut the point off the trailing hook so the bait trails the hook like in a carp rig. I have no idea which way would result in fewer deep hooks. Downside either way is you wont be able to easily adjust the spacing without retying the whole thing.
I try to avoid 2 hooks unless im bar fishing in Richmond ...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »

I try to avoid 2 hooks unless im bar fishing in Richmond ...

Its not a hook if its only a shank.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »

You could try a Rapala knot and instead of leaving a centimeter of loop, you could use it to cinch bait down onto the eye of the hook?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »

Swing flies or spoons and deep hook sets are less likely, particularly with spoons if you swap out the original large hooks with a smaller size 2-4 trailing hook attached via braid or multiple split rings.

Alternatively try trout beads or Jensen type eggs pegged 1.5 to 2 inches above a small hook.

What other bait were you considering, something like a small roe bag in the Fraser where clarity probably precludes flys and spoons?  May be try attaching a small snap swivel ~1.5-2 inches above the hook and pass the snap swivel through the bunched up bit of the roe bag?  With a take the hook is more likely to set in the outside or around the lips.

Always hold the rod and never leave it unattended on a rest?