Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Pro Shop  (Read 13277 times)

West

Re: Bass Pro Shop
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »

Intex boats like crap to me so who cares how cheap they are south of the border. Most tackle in Basspro and Cabela's have MSRPs retailers have to follow. Cabela's has superb sales particularly at end of season and clear outs of discontinued items. At least judging by their website they'll be some good deals. I fly fish primarily and the BPS fly shop is just an after thought while any Cabela's I've been in puts together a good FF department.
We will see, I suspect you get ripped off a lot.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »

I find both stores to be crap for product selection.  Might get deals on the basics but generally its not that selective.

Or in this instance, they are actually more expensive. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-tying/hooks-hook-storage%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103885380/umpqua-c400bi-25-pack/2203712.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhooks-hook-storage%2F_%2FN-1100439%2B4294389104%2FNe-4294389104%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103885380%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

http://www.basspro.com/Umpqua-Competition-Series-AllPurpose-Fly-Hooks-C550BL/product/12032405010432/

http://www.basspro.com/Umpqua-Competition-Series-Jig-Fly-Hooks-C400BL/product/12032405010431/

Those hooks are made by a company called Hanak.  I can get them for $7.99 CAD per 25 pack as opposed to $11.95+ USD per 25 when they are rebranded as Umpqua.  But because they are the big box stores they bring in the easiest thing (Umpqua is a US distributor/company) rather then do what the pro/local guys do which is bring them in from the European manufacturer.

Oh yeah another thing.  In archery there are companies (PSE for one) who require you to be a local pro shop and not a big box store to carry certain products.  With PSE they have a mainline (cheaper, not as technologically advanced, etc..) and a pro series.  Cabelas and Bass pro cannot get the Pro line (no can Wholesale sports)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:35:52 PM by clarkii »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »

Not that excited for the new Bass Pro Shop. If its anything like Cabelas the Canadian store wont have near the selection of the US store anyways based on the website. Also, unless I'm headed to Van Island, Tsawassen is not really on the way to anywhere.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »

We will see, I suspect you get ripped off a lot.

don't think so -  I suspect you don't know to shop & don't understand quality - why else do a comparison that involves Intex?

Hanak Tiemco (Umpqua) etc are just labels. Neither makes hooks. They buy them FROM other makers who will make them to spec.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:04:14 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:24 PM »

don't think so -  I suspect you don't know to shop & don't understand quality - why else do a comparison that involves Intex?

Hanak Tiemco (Umpqua) etc are just labels. Neither makes hooks. They buy them other makers who will make them to spec.

That may be true but in the case I mentioned Umpqua has an agreement with Hanak and distributes in the US.  The H400bl (Hanak) is the same hook as a C400bl (Umpqua).  The c400bl is not made for Umpqua, it is made for Hanak and sold to Umpqua (exact same design, codes are basically the same)

West

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

You appear to be a bit slow.  It has nothing to do with Intex or (insert brand here) it's about the price difference/markup charged.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »

You seem both obtuse and dense.

Your Cabela's to rubberboat.com comparison for the intex boat is apples to oranges. You didn't notice one was quoted in $USD and one $Cdn? Exchange will be close to $80. Then you have add shipping which will likely be $40 - if they ship to Canada, which they don't say. Then there is duty and brokerage. Since it' likely too big for USPS they'll ship Fedex or UPS and they'll hit you up for usurious 'brokerage fees' & duty By the time you can get it up here the cost would be about the same. You might save $20 or so. Whoopee!

What do you know the mark up? You likely have no clue what it is.

Besides I haven't made any reference to buying anything at Cabela's at regular price. If I want something excellent at regular price I'll go to Michael and Young.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:45:38 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jordanc

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »

I've been in both Cabelas and BPS in Canada. If your interested in getting advice from a bunch of people who know nothing about local fishing and maybe saving a little bit, go ahead. Im not a millionaire but i'd rather give my money to a local business owner who took a chance on himself and could give you some great local fishing advice. Just my thoughts.

West

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:17 AM »

You seem both obtuse and dense.

Your Cabela's to rubberboat.com comparison for the intex boat is apples to oranges. You didn't notice one was quoted in $USD and one $Cdn? Exchange will be close to $80. Then you have add shipping which will likely be $40 - if they ship to Canada, which they don't say. Then there is duty and brokerage. Since it' likely too big for USPS they'll ship Fedex or UPS and they'll hit you up for usurious 'brokerage fees' & duty By the time you can get it up here the cost would be about the same. You might save $20 or so. Whoopee!
What do you know the mark up? You likely have no clue what it is.
 Besides I haven't made any reference to buying anything at Cabela's at regular price. If I want something excellent at regular price I'll go to Michael and Young.

RalpH you sound like someone with a grade 4 educations.   There is lots of $$ difference even with the exchange (399 -169), they ship for free to the US and most Canadians living close to the border are smarter than you and have a mail box in a US border town.
Your promotion of M & Y is feeble, the place is a ghost town and I doubt it will survive another year.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:28:54 AM by West »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »

you'd better read their website - have you actually bought the product you keep promoting?

you sound like someone with a grade 4 educations
  "Educations"? That hoisting yourself on your own petard.

you know I am really tired of the childlike insults we've been trading. Let's call a truce.

as for my education, I have a University degree (BBA). I have been Certified Professional Accountant for 27 years. Tell us all about yours.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:35:58 AM by RalphH »

FishOn36

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 08:50:21 AM »

Not that excited for the new Bass Pro Shop. If its anything like Cabelas the Canadian store wont have near the selection of the US store anyways based on the website. Also, unless I'm headed to Van Island, Tsawassen is not really on the way to anywhere.

If neither Cabelas or Bass Pro has the same selection of their US counterparts, it's pointless having them here. They might put Wholesale Sports out of business though, which wouldn't bother me one bit. Such a useless store, they literally re-stocks the bulk of their fishing tackle once a year....absolutely pathetic.

Wool

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »

At least the spin cast boys can stock up on their " I'm a Bass Wacker " custom apparel and red and white bobbers. I'll bet opening day there is a push at the door to sign up for their credit card as well. Spend your money at your local shops.

dufflayer

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »

My local outdoors store couldn't be f*cked to carry Sako 180gr super hammerhead cartirdges in .300 Win Mag... But Bass Pro does...
Go Leafs Go

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »

Enjoy buying big box sold items, guys. Soon the day will come where there will be no friendly local shop to go to...As far as I am concerned, I'll keep buying local, with the occasional item not available locally bought through eBay or Amazon.

Bass Pro...the name says it all. ::)
I'd rather call myself a trout amateur.

Drewhill

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »

I find local shops are great if you're starting out. They'll give you more basic advice than a Wal Mart or Canadian Tire. The problem is if you're an experienced angler suddenly they are very tight lipped about everything. Usually they start asking you for information because they don't have the time to get out due to the demand of being in the shop. It's hard to justify spending more at these shops when that happens.