Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass Pro Shop  (Read 13278 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Bass Pro Shop
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:57:09 AM »

Anyone here excited about the opening of Bass Pro Shop in Tsawwassen?

I've been a fan of them since the early 90's and I am sure they will carry a lot of brands and products that aren't available at local tackle shops.

West

Re: Bass Pro Shop
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:45:31 PM »

You bet, can't wait to take my kid there.

Tylsie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »

I will be going to Bass Pro, but only for the taxidermy. I have been to several and never get tired of seeing what they do. But as far as shopping, unless I was looking for something for a trip abroad or something for the local waters where I am working I don't ever buy anything.

Wait, I do by their life time guarantee socks.

Dylb

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »

STOKED!!

Also heard something about indoor waterslides at the new mall...

... pretty stoked for that as well  ;)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »

So, I presume these guys have done their homework and have a solid business plan for their expansion into the LML market. Cabelas and Bass Pro and to some degree Wholesale Sports are pretty much targeting the same customer group so I'm not sure what the competition will yield for us anglers. With the rate that the local tackle shops are going out of business, unless we are all willing and able to take the long drive down the valley or Tsawwassen, we won't have a lot of choices but to buy from Walmart or crappy tire. That doesn't make me feel great about this!

Wool

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »

They sell nothing but junk.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:59:07 AM »

Support your local tackle shop.
http://

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:55 AM »

Too far from Maple Ridge but would still like to see the store and all the hoopla they get.
Ill still do what little shopping I do at the local store .

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 07:25:46 AM »

When is the opening? I will have to make a trip out there and check it out. Stock up on "Bass stuff". 😜

fyrslyer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »

Excited for both Bass Pro and Cabelas opening :)

Dylb

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:43:32 AM »

Support your local tackle shop.

Agreed.

They do sell more than fishing gear though, will be interesting to see how they are price wise VS some of the other mentioned: Cabelas, Wholesale, Army n Navy etc

If they're smart with their buying power, and can come in as the cheaper option for outdoor supplies, then I think a lot of LML folk will be willing to make the drive? We're all cheap  ;)

Having said that though, location wise it isn't the drive there that bugs me, its the traffic once you get there. We've all experienced that stretch of highway just after a ferry docks  :o :o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »

I've been to both. Cabela's is the better of the 2 for my $. I can't see how BPS will fit into the market here. It is a shame the impact this will have on our local retailers - they are already in dire straits. However this is a trend that's been under way for a couple of decades & on line shopping has been a bigger pill for them to swallow. So far markets have proven that specialty shops that provide top rate service and quality gear are able to do well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

West

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »

A lot of these American stores that come up here don't really reflect any value north of the border.  Although I hope that they don't follow the lead of Target that tried ripping us off and went under quit quickly.

Cabelas looks to be fitting the "Target" mould as well, where the bargains are ONLY south of the 49th even with the exchange rate.

As an example here is a boat I bought last year "online".

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/44790/intex-mariner-3-boat-set  and the online price ... http://rubberboats.com/product/intex-mariner-3-inflatable-boat.html   $399 versus $169

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:53:34 AM by West »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »

Intex boats like crap to me so who cares how cheap they are south of the border. Most tackle in Basspro and Cabela's have MSRPs retailers have to follow. Cabela's has superb sales particularly at end of season and clear outs of discontinued items. At least judging by their website they'll be some good deals. I fly fish primarily and the BPS fly shop is just an after thought while any Cabela's I've been in puts together a good FF department.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »

Intex boats like crap to me so who cares how cheap they are south of the border. Most tackle in Basspro and Cabela's have MSRPs retailers have to follow.

--MSRP... well sort of. I recall purchasing several U boats to sell in Canada only to see Cabela's selling them in USA for less than my wholesale costs. Called the company and to bad so sad... they claimed that the boats sold to Cabela's were a different color made especially for them. I said so sell me some... slightly different colour at the same price so I can compete.  I am sure it is similar today.
--I also called a lure company as Cabela's was selling the lure at below my wholesale costs. They didn't believe it till they looked on the site... not a mistake... they guaranteed that they had sold them to me at same wholesale price.. Cabelas just decided to sell some of them at a loss. But that becomes the price that people used to come into the store and shove in my face.. like I was trying to rip them off. No way to explain it. I only know that if as smaller company advertises or sells for less than MSRP they often get the boot.
--My whine for the day... lucky for me I'm retired now..less ulcer's more fishing.