Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first kayak trip in Kamloops  (Read 3565 times)

stlucio

first kayak trip in Kamloops
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »

Hi guys,

i'm off to Kamloops for a week to do some flyfishing on my kayak for the first time. Any suggestion on a lake I could or should fish? I would also appreciate any advice for a first time kayaker. Tight lines.

LC 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: first kayak trip in Kamloops
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:32:23 AM »

What kind of vehicle and accessibility are you looking for? A man could spend his whole life covering the lakes around Kamloops.

RRV

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »

One of my favorites is Community Lake, which is north of Kamloops above Heffley Creek.  One of the nice things about that lake is that if it doesn't work out, Knouff Lake is just down the road one way, and the Heffley lakes are the other way. If you head up towards Sun Peaks from there you can hit McGillvary lake, or if you turn off at Whitecroft you can hit Amphitheater lake.  Either way, you can keep going towards the town of Chase and fish Neskonlith, and from there it's a short drive to Skmana Lake.

Many of these lakes have campsites, and you could do it all without four wheel drive, although I'd recommend something more than a Honda Civic for the stretch between Sun Peaks and Neskonlith.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:02:19 AM by RRV »

nevertoolate

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

I have fished most of the lakes around kamloops in my kayak.   Lots of options there.   Depends on how far you want to travel from kamloops.

stlucio

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »

Thanks guys for all your replies.

so far, I went to Jacko Lake and Roche Lake (on my friend's boat, not kayak). I might try Edith Lake today. I prefer to drive 1hr or less and nicely paved road for my small car. It's a bit windy at the moment so I hope the wind will settle down soon. Tight lines,

LC

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »

Let us know how it went?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 05:21:09 PM »

Try going to the Gofishbc website under the "Where to Fish" menu and filter for region 3 and 2WD access. That shows at few dozen options (if not more) within an hour of Kamloops. Be aware that the website is not always 100% accurate so google the lake you pick first to make sure the road is good.

Edith will be no problem. It has a few km of decent gravel road at the end but is accessible by any car that's not made of cardboard. Multiple spots to put in a kayak or cartopper too.

stlucio

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »

Let us know how it went?

Haha Kayak fishing wasn't that easy as I expected! The weather was pretty windy everytime I put my kayak in the water. I went to Jacko Lake on the first day but had no luck. I was on Roche Lake with the boat next day; caught a 2lb rainbow but it was a slow day. Before I came back to Vancouver, I went to Edith Lake to put my kayak but it was dangerously windy; caught a 2lb- rainbow on the wharf just before the sunset. The weather was definitely not on my side but I still had fun fishing around Kamloops. I gotta get used to my new kayak now and to fish on it. Thanks!

LC