Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My obsevations at KWB  (Read 4987 times)

mooch

• I'm a llama!
My obsevations at KWB
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:48:17 PM »

I went to the KWB area several times this week to see for myself what was going on there after reading so much about it. It was not pretty, but it wasn't as terrible as some members have suggested. Here's what I saw:

-super low water conditions that trapped the fish in one place and made it easy for all the fairweather fishermen to catch fish there. There must have been 500 chinooks in the run, which means lots of meat fishers and roe hunters!!
- lots of experienced fishermen who shortfloated and caught tons of fish, and then there were lots of beginners who really didn't know what they were doing and ended up snagging lots of fish. The positive was that "most" of the snagged fish were released properly. There were some who kept their snagged fish. What can you do about some of the bad apples?? The worst offenders were the school kids that were out on a PD day.  Whew, I hope they are not the future of Vedder fishing!!
-Lots of people from the Chilliwack side casting over the lines from the Abby side and causing what seemed to be endless tangle. Some members from this forum were guilty of that sin. Names withheld.
-too many guys on the Chilliwack side were fishing too deep and thus dredging and snagging a lot of fish.
-What was disturbing was the guys directly below the bridge who were snagging, but those guys knew exactly what they were doing. Very experienced and very efficient. What's even more disturbing is the fact that FOC could clean that up in a couple of days if they wanted to but they choose to ignore it. Even the officer from the BC Environment ministry turned a blind eye when he was there. He checked a few licenses and took off. I overheard several people phoning the FOC regarding snaggers and double/triple  dippers but no officers showed up. Almost makes one blieve the FOC condones this kind of fishing. Maybe they don't like white springs either??

After a short walk and more observing.  I see the the runs directly below KWB were no better. Lots of snagging there and the run further down as well. In one run I saw a guy playing a large chinook for ten minutes and a Doofus with glasses cast over him with Fireline and caused the guy to lose his fish. Is Fireline really necessary in the Vedder? I saw FishFreak there and I can say he was a true gentleman to the other fishermen around him. A very good shortfloater too.

A quick drive up to the Cottonwoods and I see thirty guys lines up like the statues at Easter Island doing the same things described above. Same goes for the fishing at the Train bridge. This type of fishing is prevalent through out the system.

From what I have seen KWB is pretty chaotic in apperance because it is the most visible place on the entire river. It doesn't help that it has easy access and that it holds the most fish when the water is low, but it is nothing compared to the Tamihi area during high water at the peak of coho season. If you want to see pandemonium you go there. It is utterly despicable. Almost reminds one of fishing in Alaska.

buck

Re: My obsevations at KWB
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:02:40 PM »

CF

Sounds like you have something to hide when you call DFO,CO's and RCMP members pigs.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:32:22 PM »

I guess that's what 'native pride' does to you.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »

I haven't seen a CO at the Cap since Max retired.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

is there still fish holding there?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »

Thanks mooch for that write-up. I think your post is a good reminder that we should not generalize all fishermen in one crowded area. Some people enjoy fishing with other people, their comfort zone is different to others. I personally enjoy only fishing with a couple of people at any given time, so the fish are not spooked.

Officers hesitate to ticket anglers who are "snagging" fish because it is often hard to prove the charge in court unless the violators are purposely yanking their rods every few seconds. DFO's mandate is to manage and regulate our fisheries, not to dig into anglers' tackleboxes and tell them how to fish. When writing up a ticket, they have to consider the likelihood that it will be paid. Court time means less DFO officers on the field and more money wasted. There are bigger fish to fry unfortunately.

That being said, actions by some people on the Vedder should not be tolerated. The newbies, young kids etc are simply at their learning stage, and often will accept the advice given when offered by more experienced anglers. The problem sits on those who are fully aware of what they are doing, and trying their best to mask what most would consider as a violation in the fishery act.

What's the answer? I don't know. One can only do his or her best to make this a pleasant fishery for all.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »

Pretty stupid of you to call them pigs when they are there for your help and protection >:(

redlad

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 10:19:50 PM »

I have seen the posts a couple of times knocking fireline and I am not quite sure why.  Is it becasue it is assumed to be a high test? 

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 10:45:24 PM »

The reason a lot of guys don't like fire-line is because it can cut your line if you're using monofilament, I hate to admit it but I did that once to my fihsing buddy when we were hali fishing (I had braid, he had mono), we both had a fish on and mine cut his off, and his line subsequently snapped.

It is good quality line, just a little annoying in the wrong hands  ;)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 11:59:07 PM »

I have used Fireline but switched to Tuff XP for two reasons: Fireline tends to dig into your reel and it also frays.