Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you Beachfish or Saltwater fish in The Georgia Straight.  (Read 2779 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
If you Beachfish or Saltwater fish in The Georgia Straight.
« on: September 30, 2005, 09:02:37 AM »

On the DFO site, there now are NEW PROPOSED ROCKFISH Closures.
Be aware that these are proposed and unless there is a strong backlash they will go into effect.
These areas are CLOSED TO FISHING by SPORTS ANGLERS and will be for at least 25 years.

So, I would strongly advise you to review these and put in your comments.

Places to think of, Port Hardy, Victoria, Indian Arm to name a few.

Beach fishing is NOT ALLOWED in Rockfish Areas.
Look at the one at Oyster Bay, above the Oyster River.

You should state in your remarks that Beach Fishing should be allowed in All Rockfish Areas as long as your feet are touching land.

There is no hope at all for belly boats etc. to be allowed in Rockfish areas.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: If you Beachfish or Saltwater fish in The Georgia Straight.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »

Rockfish conservation targets 30 per cent   
 GET THE POINT: Gary Logan
of the Fisheries and Oceans Canada's Rockfish/Lingcod sustainability team and commercial fisherman Rhys Griffith discuss maps of proposed rockfish conservation areas in the Strait of Georgia during a public meeting held September 21.   
But sport and commercial fishermen are concerned about effect of closure on other fisheries

Powell River fishermen raised several concerns during a Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) public meeting last week.

The purpose of the meeting, held on September 21, was to provide information and seek input on rockfish conservation strategy and proposed rockfish conservation areas (RCAs) in the Strait of Georgia.

Discussion touched on issues such as first nation fisheries, foreign boats and poaching, predator species, environmental lobbies, effects on other fisheries and DFO communications.

Fishermen were very concerned about further limitations on an already reduced catch. "We're here to minimize impacts on communities," said Gary Logan of DFOs rockfish/lingcod sustainability team. "I'm not here to destroy your fishery."

Logan explained that, over the past three years, DFO has been developing a rockfish and lingcod conservation strategy encompassing four principles: catch monitoring, harvest reduction, stock assessment, and establishment of RCAs.

Potential candidates for RCAs for the inside water areas in the Strait of Georgia were posted on maps at the meeting. Areas identified as potential RCAs represent approximately 30 per cent of the rockfish habitat in the Strait of Georgia, up from nine per cent currently designated.

Logan asked stakeholders to identify problem areas and offer alternatives. He said information obtained over the last three years indicates the Strait of Georgia is recovering well. "There is absolutely no doubt in our minds that we are going in the right direction," said Logan.

In recent years, anglers have seen limits of daily catch reduced from four fish to one. Herb Daum, a sport fisherman and guide, wants to see an organized response from sport fishermen.

"I think that sport fishermen have to get together and collectively have to review the proposed RCAs and proposed alternate areas to ensure that our preferred areas for salmon fishing remain open to that sport," said Daum. "Anyone who gives a damn about having access to salmon fishing is urged to contact either Hugh Kingwell or myself." Daum can be reached by phone at 604.485.5504 and Kingwell at 604.483.7813. Internet users can visit the website powellriverfish.proboards41.com for more information.

Kingwell, who is on the Sport Fish Advisory Board subcommittee for Powell River, confirmed that he will organize a meeting for sport fishermen in the next two weeks. He is concerned that some of the selected areas will seriously affect chinook fishing.

"These decisions are 10- and 20-year," said Kingwell. "A lot of them [RCAs], once they're closed, we won't see them open again in our lifetimes."

Several prawn fishermen were also in attendance. "One thing I want to talk about is a complete gutting of the department by the Feds," said commercial fisherman Ivan Askgaard. "It affects their ability to do their job. The whole coast used to be regulated by a 20-boat fleet. Now we have an office in town."

Askgaard would like to see local management in BC similar to the way the fishery is managed in Alaska, which also used to be run from a distant office. "They are now progressive. Their fisheries are rolling and healthy."

Comments about RCAs will be accepted by DFO until December 31. Logan said that written comments from a group are more effective than comments from individuals, and discouraged phone calls.

Implementation of the new RCAs is scheduled for May 2006. Interested readers can find more information at www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

ŠThe Powell River Peak 2005 

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »

Just read up on the proposed rockfish closures and sent a letter voicing my concerns, personally my family does alot of fishing up the Indian arm and this closure would be terrible, no salmon fishing or flounder fishing in the proposed areas, which happen to be where I spend most of my time on the boat.  I believe with the current rockfish limits of one fish that a closure is not needed.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 07:44:20 AM »

This might affect you.