Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe fishing - do eggs need to be large?  (Read 7628 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Roe fishing - do eggs need to be large?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »

yep you got it.

I've only been vacuum packing roe for a couple seasons but so far have had no issues with egg breakage either freezing or thawing. I use roe sacs, so most of my roe is first singled and cured, then pre-frozen on saran wrap in small sheets about 1/2lb each, sized to fit right into the vacuum bags.

Thawing, I do usually break the vacuum seal first as a precaution but dont believe that part really matters. Each pack ties up enough sacs for several trips

It sounds like a lot of trouble but actually takes very little time, and they stack nice in the freezer.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 03:35:38 PM »

I have been vacuum packing whole raw skeins for the last couple of years without any trouble. You just have to make sure they are good and dry so you get a good seal.  A week or so before I'm ready to fish, I'll thaw and cure like it was fresh roe.  Seems to work as well as fresh.  I am also liable to do a light salt cure so we have caviar for a holiday party.  My wife gets upset if I don't give her a few skeins for this each year (although she still doesn't help me with the tedious preparation).   ;D

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »

I have been vacuum packing whole raw skeins for the last couple of years without any trouble.

I've never tried freezing fresh skeins before as I wasnt sure if it would work but will give it a try this year for making ikura in the off-season.

Animal Chin

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »

Me either. I usually cure mine first before vacuum sealing, assuming it would store better. Glad to know it works though, it would definitely shorten my post-outing clean up duties.

I also have a jar adapter and do it in small 250 ml jars. I've never stored it for more than a season so not sure if the space in the jars will cause freezer burns despite vacuuming and sealing well. I use to put fill the jars with borax but the eggs came out too dry, now I just line the bottom of jar with paper towel. 

The one time I tried it in bags it was a disaster. I think the cure increased the time needed to completely freeze the roe, so even though I thought it was pre-frozen when it came time to vacuum, the eggs got crushed and it was a gooey mess.