Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smells & sounds in Richmond BC  (Read 7646 times)

kid fisherman

Re: Smells & sounds in Richmond BC
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »

X...2 on that. I am the same way!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

From my understanding bird hunters could do their thing in Richmond in the past as it was legal to shoot.
Not the case now I believe 99.999%  that it is now against the law to bird hunt in Richmond.

If so WHY ?

Is it the fact where large fields were now there are homes & tons of people walking on dykes.
Or is it people living in 2 million $$$ homes ( many homes are worth that in today's market ) do not want to hear BANG BANG BANG.

The plane noise is for the Bridgeport & Cambie home owners & where homes cost less too.

Or maybe if bird hunters shoot the geese in West Richmond then too many flocks will set off & make a B line towards the airport.
There are some grassy areas there too.
Flocks of birds & planes do not mix.

Was it Bush who shot his VP in the butt with a shot gun ???
Maybe most are safe shots but if I'm walking along the dyke & a flock of low flying birds go by & some guys start blasting away with their shotguns 30 yds away I just may want to hit the deck ( ground )   :D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »

:D Well you can relax friend, because those men should be at least 100m from the dykes edge. If they are not I would call them in as that is definitely a major safety issue. Bird shot is really quite harmless after 40-50 yards. 
As for the hunting in Richmond I believe there is still some land where it is legal to hunt but by permission only.
I'm not current with that as Ive got close ties in Ladner.
If you're interested I would suggest going to a hunting store and picking up a "special area" hunting map. This will show you public, permission only, agricultural protection, and closed areas in Richmond to Chilliwack. I believe it also explains the rules about dykes on it somewhere.
Hope this helps somewhat.

buzzbomb

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »

Major airports use some sort of noisemakers like carbide cannons they set off by remote control to scare birds off the runways.  Could you be hearing those?Farmers use the same thing to try to keep them out of their crops but I wouldn't imagine it's growing season now even in sunny BC is it? 
Dick Cheney was Bush Sr's Sec of Def in Desert Storm then later Vice-Prestdent under GW Bush, first reports that the hunting accident (2009) victiim suffered only minor injuries were false, and he actually had a heart attack due to a lead pellet lodged near his heart.  First reports also said they were friends, also not true.  Shooting a lawyer probably boosted his popularity! 
5% Alc./Vol.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

The "bangs" were not from the Sidaway area of Richmond ( that's way over to the 99 hwy ) as Canso mentioned & nope to buzzbomb to your sujj. that it may be "noisemakers" to spook birds away from the airport. ( definitely not bangs from farmer fields; but your right in the summer there are a lot of bangs from fields to chase away the birds from eating crops. )

Both good guesses but as I live in south west Richmond & the 5-6 quick loud bangs were from the south east direction.
As the land is flat the noise travels quite far.

I'm convinced it has to be hunters shooting birds as they flew overhead.
 3-4 hunters could pull the trigger & make these rapid shots.

Gee my memory has been jogged as another day I heard a lot of bangs as well ; more so than the bangs mentioned.
Around Oct 31 I think  ;D

On a serious note, one of my past jobs was being a floor waxer.
Did that job for 8-9 yrs & was at a dif building every night. North Van ,downtown,Burnaby, New West. Poco Delta Richmond on & on...but one night as I was getting my equipment from my truck ( floor machine,wax ,mops buckets etc ) a very very loud bang went off which seemed within a block away.
Just one loud bang.
This was just over near #6 just south of Bridgeport.
In that case I called the RCMP & told them about it.
I assumed they sent a car to check it out.
Later I seen a mobile security car & I told the guard about the "bang" & he responded that he heard it too.

Ya just never know, I mean a guy could of been shot in a drug deal gone wrong or "whatever".
In Isreal they get small missiles sent over from Gaza so this one loud bang I just mentioned would be small "potatoes".

gman

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012Web.pdf

This map shows where you can hunt in Rchmond. You can hunt in the Ladner march area south of Steveston (you need a boat) and that is the main area nowadays. Also some hunting the large farms areas in south and east, but you would need the landowners permission.
In Steveston you hear lots of shots from hunters on the river between Steveston and Ladner. Some of them launch small boats at the launch near the end of 2 road near the east end of shady island.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:41:30 PM by gman »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »

Thought ( assumed ) I read some article in our freebie newspaper a few years ago about some bird that migrates to the Richmond area as they fly either north or south & that their numbers were low thus they were protected.
If I remember correctly in that article the " whatever bird it was " migrates " to a northern lake.
My mistake as I thought the bird was this snow goose.
White coloured bird with black wing tips.

Whooping Cranes are an endangered bird which are white with black wing tips, perhaps you are thinking of this species?

Unfortunately I don't think they are seen in Richmond all that often - or at all.  lol

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:22:39 AM by Tex »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »

Thanks for your info Tex.

Honestly am not sure as I cannot remember the name of the bird.
Whooping Cranes population are very low that's for sure.

If I remember that freebie newspaper that comes to our home 2x week in it's article it told of some flock of birds that was in the marshy area off Richmond's west dyke.
Think it said that their numbers were very low at one point but was increasing well.
In the summer IF I recall another fact of the article it said something about the flock goes to some lake up north.
Inland somewhat.
Northern BC or NWT ( ???? )

What I read on the web it does not mention that the whooping crane migration route is anywhere  near Richmond.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

When I was a kid, my Dad used to take me duck hunting in Richmond on the foreshore just off the end of Runway 26 at YVR.  The jets passing overhead seemed so close.  I wondered what the people in the jet must have thought of two guys packing 12 gauge shot guns off the end of the runway.

You used to be able to walk in along the dyke from the dirt bike pit at the bend in the road before it heads over to the poo pipe (Iona Sewage Treatment Plant).  I imagine there are land mines and attack dogs there now.