Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maxima Ultragreen  (Read 7629 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Maxima Ultragreen
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

I spooled my reels with Maxima Ultragreen a couple of weeks ago after using Berkeley Big Game for a season and was quite disappointed Maxima's durability.
After one outing the line had nicks everywhere and it has way more memory than Big Game line. Especially evident on spinning reels.
I like Maxima for leaders because of low visibility but it doesn't cut it for main line it seems.
Berkeley was on the reels for a long time and it had no noticeable damage and very little memory.
 :o  :-\

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Maxima Ultragreen
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »

Check you're guides for broken or missing ceramic inserts. They are often the cause of line failure. I just recently was complaining to my fishing partner about how much twist I was getting in my line. I eventually noticed the second guide from the top was missing it's insert.

YY

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

Agreed. Maxima UG may be tough for the indicated test, but durability is not the best. Mustad lines are quite good with strength and durability.

shaunm

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »

I spooled my reels with Maxima Ultragreen a couple of weeks ago after using Berkeley Big Game for a season and was quite disappointed Maxima's durability.
After one outing the line had nicks everywhere and it has way more memory than Big Game line. Especially evident on spinning reels.
I like Maxima for leaders because of low visibility but it doesn't cut it for main line it seems.
Berkeley was on the reels for a long time and it had no noticeable damage and very little memory.
 :o  :-\

I agree 100%. I much prefer the Berkeley Big Game. I had some Maxima put on my CP & LW reels this year and the changed back to Big Game next day .

wolverine

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »

Ultragreen was a great line in its day but now there are a lot of better performing lines available. Maximas new Calcutta line is limp and works very well on spinning reels. P-line and Big Game are the toughest lines out there now for bait casters.

fish_on

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »

On my new CP, I'd Maxima Ultragreen spooled and noticed each time I pulled from a snag, the line dugged in and resulting in hesistation or binding. Whereas on my previous Silex, I had the Maxima Chameleon and never had such problem. I'm thinking of siwtching back  to Chameleon. Any thoughts? Fisherforever, how is the Suffix Camo on your CP working for you? Any other feedback is appreciated.

Tx

luvnlife

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »

I too have had it with my Maxima Ultragreen... I bought some Berkley Fireline (crystal) under recommendation and absolutely hated it. So I'm currently back to the Maxima, but looking for recommendations for us with my Curado DSV300? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »

I had the Maxima Chameleon and never had such problem. I'm thinking of siwtching back  to Chameleon. Any thoughts?

Chameleon is still the best for level wind reel river fishing and excellent in the ocean for downrigging or power mooching as well, never used it on a spinning reel though.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »

HMMM, I've never had any issues with Maxima UG.  But, I change my line a few times per year also.  I'll also use reel saver from time to time.  I used to have issues with trilene being brittle.  But, that was 10+ years ago.  I've been with maxima and mean green ever since. 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »

...I'll also use reel saver from time to time.

What's Reel Saver?

I did a search and all that shows is a reel lube-you use that on your line?

Curious mind wants to know.... 8)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »

Isn't it line saver?  Something fly fisherman use all the time during off season, to save the expensive flylline from memory and deformation.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »

sorry, I meant to say real magic.  It's good stuff. Really helps reduce backlashes and icing.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »

Some in-depth line reviews that may help can be found here: http://www.tackletour.com/menulines.html

NFM

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Ultragreen I find is by far the best for rigger fishing or power mooching, as for spinning i tend to find that the softer lines like ande or trilene work best . For bait caster I still love the maxima .

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »

I have Suffix camo on my LW and it would break off costing me about ten yards and a DNE almost every snag up ,or on a big spring  . I had Trilene BG b4 this and had no issues .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."