Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where should I go to catch Coho?  (Read 7624 times)

Piranha

Where should I go to catch Coho?
« on: November 01, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »

I live in coquitlam. I want to go fly fishing for Coho on the weekend and would like to know what is the best place to go to catch a coho. I've never caought one on the fly. Also when fishing in river for Coho do people wear their waders and go in? Wouldn't most rivers like fraser have muddy substrate? Can you fly fish from shore on any rivers around here?

I never fished this time of year so i want to be prepared when i go on the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:37:49 PM by Piranha »

rymack

• I'm a llama!
Re: Where should I go to catch Coho?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:29:08 PM »

Try the coquitlam river ....just be prepared to do alot of exploring.  There are also some sloughs on the pitt river that hold chum and i think coho...

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »

The coquitlam river is no good for hos just go to the vedder ok

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

The coquitlam river is no good for hos just go to the vedder ok

Didnt you mother teach you that its better to say nothing at all than to lie?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:01:26 PM »

Nicomen slough and Harrison Rivers are also places where people can have some success for coho on the fly.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »

I live in coquitlam. I want to go fly fishing for Coho on the weekend and would like to know what is the best place to go to catch a coho. I've never caought one on the fly. Also when fishing in river for Coho do people wear their waders and go in? Wouldn't most rivers like fraser have muddy substrate? Can you fly fish from shore on any rivers around here?

I never fished this time of year so i want to be prepared when i go on the weekend.

Easy area to access is to go explore on the stave. Find water that is hardly moving like the toilet bowl by the old boat ramp. There is also some areas just off of 287th street but to fish the toilet bowl and that area you need to turn on Hayward and follow to the parking lot by the dam.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

like_to_fish

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »

Easy area to access is to go explore on the stave. Find water that is hardly moving like the toilet bowl by the old boat ramp. There is also some areas just off of 287th street but to fish the toilet bowl and that area you need to turn on Hayward and follow to the parking lot by the dam.
is hayward st open this time of the year?...i heard they do some seismic testing or something like that..

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:22:59 PM »

Go to the toilet bowl on the stave, and fish the upstream side of it...

Use a clear sink line, some murrays rolled muddlers in size 8, and also olive green wooly buggers.

Also bring a flash fly, like a christmas tree.

Good Luck!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Go to the toilet bowl on the stave, and fish the upstream side of it...

And watch Nicole bringing them in on the downstream side of it. ;D

Reports coming in from the toilet bowl have been great actually. The number of fish being seined by the hatchery each week is pretty strong. It's definitely worth trying at first light.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »

Yep, I have fished there lots when the vedder is out, its a great place to go if you don't have a boat...

Try and get the spot right at the point, its the best spot to work the seam where the flat water meets the current...

Normally I hit it in the afternoon, on the way home...

Sometimes one river is not enough ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »

Hayward is open right upto the parking lot of the stave. The dam is closed as that is where they are doing the siesmic upgrades.

The hatchery is doing very well with the coho as well as the springs and jack springs. On friday they got over 70 coho and on tuesday they got in the mid thirties. The springs they usually only take 4 males and 4 females and they collect the eggs right there and milk the bucks as well .This is with only two sets with the net. They are only there about 1.5 hours and the netting is done in 20min. They show up around 9:30 and are usually leaving by 11ish . By the afternoon the toilet bowl is back in action.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:06:16 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Piranha

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »

How many cohos can you keep?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »

Hatchery coho only (absence of adipose fin with a healed scar in place).

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 10:35:45 PM »

Basically 2 coho adults and 2 jacks.

And hatchery only as Rodney mentioned.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:51:52 PM »

Hayward is open right upto the parking lot of the stave. The dam is closed as that is where they are doing the siesmic upgrades.

The hatchery is doing very well with the coho as well as the springs and jack springs. On friday they got over 70 coho and on tuesday they got in the mid thirties. The springs they usually only take 4 males and 4 females and they collect the eggs right there and milk the bucks as well .This is with only two sets with the net. They are only there about 1.5 hours and the netting is done in 20min. They show up around 9:30 and are usually leaving by 11ish . By the afternoon the toilet bowl is back in action.

I believe i saw you there friday flyguy..and may of talked to you.. :P Just recognized the face now ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!