Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going To Ottawa, Standing Committee On Fisheries  (Read 7664 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Going To Ottawa, Standing Committee On Fisheries
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »

It looks like the newspaper articles, TV coverage, letters and concerns send to FOC on the fish kill on the Fraser River a few weeks ago due to the improper construction of the causeway for gravel removal has stirred things up in Ottawa.Two of our members are on the way to Ottawa having been asked to appear before the Standing Committee on Fisheries on this issue. ;D ;D

As well they will be talking about enforcement or lack of it once again on the Fraser River the last number of years. I believe they will have about 10 minutes each to make a presentation and then be there for two hours more to answer questions on both these issues.

Watch for the minutes of this meeting on the Standing Committee of Fisheries web page in the next few days.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:15:55 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Going To Ottawa, Standing Committee On Fisheries
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »

Great news Chris, keep us posted!!  I wish them the best!! ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »

aHa! A little persistence paying off! Excellent!

Give 'em Hell Chris!!  ;D

Cheers!!!
Matt

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »

Our two representatives got back from Ottawa after appearing before the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans.

One of our members first showed a 10 minute power point presentation that was very photographic with graphs, charts, and pictures dealing with the gravel bar issue that resulted in the death of millions of pink and chum alveins.

Our other representative also touched on this issue and in his presentation he provided each of the 12 members of the committee a package that included a copy of the 12 pictures taken over the course of the event. He also in his 10 minute presentation talked about the enforcement on the Fraser River, drift netting, 2 million pounds of sockeye (around 400,000 pieces) from the 2005 season still held in cold storage facilities.

There is much more in the two presentations and it will be readily available shortly on the web for those interested, including a 90 minute question and answer session after the presentations.

It appears two actions were to be put into effect immediately as result of the meeting. Two high ranking DFO bureaucrats are to be called to appear before the standing committee next week to answer some of the observations put forth by our people.

Second one of the committee members asked about the fish currently being held in cold storage and it was suggested no more FSC fisheries should be permitted until these sockeye had been consummed. It will be interested to see how far the committee goes with this.

I, and I am sure others from this forum will agree we owe a lot of thanks to these individuals that took so much time to put their presentations together and fly to Ottawa to deliver them.

I believe all fishing sectors, including the most important factor in this, the fish will benefit greatly from their work as we all strive to save our important fish stocks along with their habitat they live in for the future and for our generations that will follow us.

Thanks fellows!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:43:39 PM by chris gadsden »

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »

Chris on my behalf can you thank those who are helping not just us at this time but other generations of fishermen and fisherwomen that would like to take part in our wonderful sport we call fishing. Thanks Griz. P.S. if you ever need any of my products for a fund raiser please drop me a line or get the Master to call me.[/color] :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »

Second one of the committee members asked about the fish currently being held in cold storage and it was suggested no more FSC fisheries should be permitted until these sockeye had been consummed. It will be interested to see how far the committee goes with this.

It will indeed be interesting to see what happens. Thanks for the update Chris.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:27:30 PM »

Thanks for the update Chris.  Let's hope that this committee does follow thru on these plans.  Also, yes, a lot of thanks to those that put in their valuable time preparing these presentations.  Without these concerned individuals, who knows how long fishing opportunities would be available to us the anglers.  Kudos to all involved!! ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

Thanks for the great work you guys put in!!!!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »

On behalf of myself and the fish THANKS GUYS!  I am very glad to see dedicated fisherman speaking on behalf of the fish to the standing committee.  I hope they genuinely take what was said into consideration.

buck

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 07:22:17 PM »

Chris
Who were the two members that represented us in Ottawa?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »

Chris
Who were the two members that represented us in Ottawa?

Frank and Marvin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »

The Blues (minutes) from this meeting are now out. PM me if interested with your e-mail and I will send them to you later tonight. They are quite long but very interesting and the chair said after the meeting Frank and Marvin's presentations were one of the best that he has ever heard. I sent them to Rodney and I believe he may post them  later.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »

buck

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »

Chris
Will the minutes of the meeting with Jim Wild and Paul Sprout be made available ?
I would be intrested in their answers as would everyone else. I hope this will not
be just swept under the carpet. Time will tell!
Kudos to everyone involved!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 10:42:50 PM »

Chris
Will the minutes of the meeting with Jim Wild and Paul Sprout be made available ?
I would be intrested in their answers as would everyone else. I hope this will not
be just swept under the carpet. Time will tell!
Kudos to everyone involved!!
I believe they will and Wild and Sprout are slated to appear tomorrow. When we get them we will make sure we get them posted here as soon as possible.

I will send in a request to Karen now to have the Blues sent to me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:40:26 PM by chris gadsden »