Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting started for salmon?  (Read 5985 times)

ajransom

Getting started for salmon?
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »

I've been a trout and steelhead fly fishing nerd for a number of years, but never fished for the table. This year I'd like to fish for salmon in the Fraser etc with gear, but have no idea where to start.

Any suggestions for a budget priced outfit for salmon in the Fraser etc?

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Getting started for salmon?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »

Just my 2 cents worth.  There will be lots of different opinions.

I would buy myself a level entry 10.6-11' gear rod, medium action, moderate to fast action, rated for 10-20 lbs with a level wind so you can drift floats and chuck spoons.  This will allow you to catch Steel, Coho, Chum and smaller Chinook.

A couple of rods come to mind such as Fenwick HMX or Trophy XL that are in the $90-100 and in a reel and Abu Garcia 6500 also around $100 (I think).  Better to spend a little more on the reel than the rod depending on your budget, IMHO.

If you go to any decent shop such as Sea Run, they will give you straight honest advice and sell decent equipment.

When first starting out, I think you will also find it easier to catch salmon in the tributaries, such as the Vedder and Stave, rather than the Fraser.

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »

This year I'd like to fish for salmon in the Fraser

Hate to be the negative one, but there is pretty much going to be no season for salmon of any type this year on the Fraser....and with that being said, what's left of our Chinook allocations are on their way to the natives......so maybe wait until the Chilliwack/Vedder starts up in September.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:01:55 PM »

Hate to be the negative one, but there is pretty much going to be no season for salmon of any type this year on the Fraser....and with that being said, what's left of our Chinook allocations are on their way to the natives......so maybe wait until the Chilliwack/Vedder starts up in September.

Yup go to the Vedder. Just go to a local shop and tell them where your going and they will set you up with everything you need

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »

If you were to go with just one setup, I'd say Shimano Clarus CSS90ML2B spinning rod and Shimano Sahara 2500FE spinning reel, spool it with 15lb test braid and fish 8 or 10lb test mono leader. And just cast and retrieve spoons and spinners with it. This works great for Tidal Fraser, Chilliwack or any other tributaries for fall coho salmon.

Apennock

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

Personally, if you're going to have one "all-purpose" salmon rod I wouldn't go longer than 10 feet.  Longer rods give you an advantage casting across wide channels like you'd find on the Fraser but in smaller runs like you'd encounter on the Chilliwack I find they're a bit clunky.  I keep a long rod for the option but I find myself using my 9'6 Convergence more than anything else because of it's versatility.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »

Rod's got a good idea directing you toward a spinning gear. While most would recommend you pick up a level wind outfit for drift fishing (and that was my first inclination, as well) a spinning outfit is very versatile for throwing spoons/spinners or jigs, on a variety of rivers, sloughs and saltwater beaches, for several species of salmon.

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:08:35 PM »

Just get a centerpin and a 9' spinning rod...if you flyfish for steelhead already, you're likely going to go this way anyway. I second the SeaRun recommendation.

Tenz85

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »

Low profile reels are a good medium between spinners and full on baitcasters but you still get the birdnests. Spinning reels can be used for float fishing as well although it's nots a controlled.

prairiefire

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

I still use the first rod I bought. It's a 10' Shimano Convergence paired with an Abu 5600 series reel and 15lb test. Small and light and can bring in most fish. Can cast it with ease all day long.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »

Start off with a 10-10'6" baitcaster with a decent baitcaster reel.  Or a spinning rod Set up.
Easy to use and a great spare.
And maybe you'll take out someone else who's new to fishing when you upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:49:54 AM by Fish or cut bait. »