Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly recipe  (Read 4005 times)

north

fly recipe
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:58:54 PM »

trying to find the recipe for tying an intruder. any help would be greatly appreciated

Fishingbum

Re: fly recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:55:40 PM »

Here you go courtesy of Tyler Kushnir, Ed Ward and Spey pages.

Ian

Here are the instructions for the Intruder - have fun!

The Intruder
by Ed Ward

Hook:

I tie this on a tube - usually 21/2 - 3” long and use a short-Shanked
Partridge Nordic Single Spey #4

Ed uses quite a complicated but ingenious method. The fly itself is tied on a straightened and cut-off 2/0 Mustad 36890 and the trailer hook is a #1 or 2 Diachii 2451. He then ties a loop of 25lb mono 1/4” from the tip of the hook. Tie in oval gold tinsel and take 2 wraps in back of the loop and 1 in front (this flares the loop out).

Rear hackle:

Tie in a long, soft, black hackle and take 3 wraps

Feelers:
Tie in 9 strands of dyed orange ostrich plume on each side of the fly. Tie in dyed orange ringneck pheasant tail and take 3 or 4 turns.

Body:
Tie in a long skinny badger hackle and leave hanging. Tie in burnt orange chenille and wrap forward to within 1/2” of the eye of the hook. Wind the badger hackle forward ending with 3 successive turns at the point at where the chenille ends. Spin a small clump of black deerhair (this flares the front hackle) trim butts flush with the shank. Tie in orange ringneck pheasant tail and take 3 or 4 turns.

Shell:

Tie in 2 cree hackles on each side of the shank for “wings.” Tie in dyed orange guinea hackle and take 4 or 5 turns.

Head:

Tie in a small ball of black chenille. Tie in lead eyes. Whip finish. Cover head with Aquaseal thinned with Cotol.

Tying note 1:

Ringneck pheasant tails are split down the stem with a single-edge razor, so they can be wrapped as a hackle. Soaking the tail for 10 minutes in warm water can aid in the splitting and wrapping process. Now I soak my tails in water with a dollop of hair conditioner in it overnight. Then I start at the top and strip the fibres from each side of the stem - it works great - the conditioner keeps the feather supple enough to wrap even after it is dry.

Tying note 2:

Other species of pheasant tail produce different appearances. Amherst is striking and I have used Silver pheasant.

Tying note 3:

Try any colour combinations you like!

Rigging the Intruder

Ed rigs this like the British “needle-fly.” Pass your leader through the eye of the hook, then through the mono loop, then through a 1/4” long piece of 16 gauge electrical wire from which the wire has been removed. Tie the leader to the hook with a non-slip loop knot. Push the electrical insulation up onto the end of the hookshank and slowly pull on the leader to draw the knot snugly into the other end of the insulation, making everything pulls together with the hook point riding up.

I tie on tubes and it eliminates the complicated rigging, the same could be accomplished on a Waddington shank. Originally Ed tied this on a large regular hook but was unhappy with the holding power as well as the potential for injuring fish and went to his present method.

I think that this is a brilliant pattern. It has a great profile and fantastic movement. As a steelhead pattern it is not a pattern everyone like - almost solely because of its huge size. I have always been partial to big flies for steelhead so it was not tough for me to accept!

I have begun to experiment with various colours and feathers, Ed himself says he rarely ties 2 the same - so have at it!

Living Large Again
Ian S