Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to start fly fishing.  (Read 11791 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Want to start fly fishing.
« on: September 24, 2005, 07:59:11 PM »

I allways wanted to learn how to fly fish and today really set it off for me, getting not much action the float setup at the vedder. Can anyone recomend a full setup i can get for around 300 bucks that gives a good bend and you feel a fight of a 5 pound coho but can also take the strenght of a vedder white without trying to hard not to break the rod. Im complelty new so i have no clue whats the best and so on and what weight rod i need, but i really wana learn this type of fishing so any info at all is greatly appreciated.
[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Want to start fly fishing.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 02:17:50 AM »

If salmon and steelies' what you're after you might want to get a 9' rod with 3 line wt rating.
Berry's carries a large fly rod selection they'll be able to help you.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 07:26:54 AM »

If you are strictly after coho, 8 wt. is your best bet. If you are strictly after pink 7 wt. is your best bet.  If you are after all kind of salmon, 9 wt. is what you need.  All rods that carry a Lifetime Warranty are good to excellent and it will give you a peace of mind, should you happen to break them.  I think they are cheaper in the long run.
For the flyline, Rio VersiTip is your best bet to cover almost all fishing situation.  It is, however, kind of pricey.
For Vedder/Chilliwack R., I only use type 3 and type 8 sink tip.  So you can get away with just buying a type 8 sink tip.
I would recommend that you do your research about fly fishing, before you jump in.  Buying a fly fishing set of equipment will not make you a fly fisherman.  There are a lot to learn in order to be a true fly fisherman.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »

If you want to fish strictly the vedder I would reccomend an 8wt. That should be able to handle everything but the stinkiest of whites and would be perfect for chums/larger coho. It would however, be overkill for trout. I would reccomend a sage launch. Fairly cheap and it has a nice slower action so you can get used to casting. I'll put in another reccomnedation for a versi-tip system but as said before they are expensive. You probably could get away with just buying a dry line and 2 slime lines. If you go to hubs they can probably set you up with rod,reel and lines for around 300.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 01:14:09 PM »

Rio Versa tip is pricey, but worth the price in my opinion. $170.00

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »

IM after whites too not trout not to big on that so anything more then an eight weight? i dont want to be worried about if i get a monster on and snaping on me? Also does anyone know of a site thats basicly fly fishing for dummies lol cuz i know nothing about hwo to put on the leader to the line and so on its a new world to me.
[

sliverbullet

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 07:44:05 AM »

your rod wont snap before your tippet, tippet is the first to go

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »

your rod wont snap before your tippet, tippet is the first to go

Thats a good one lol.

Floater, if you want to get into fly fishing for salmon I would reccomend initially targetting pinks or chums. This way you'll have a decent chance of hitting fish even if your technique has something to be desired. For general fly fishing info www.fishbc.com is generally pretty good. Another strong reccomendation is either take a fly fishing course or go out with experienced fly fishermen if you have the luxury.
Actions speak louder than words.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »

Hi Floater : the tips that others are giving you are good...hehe..and I will be taking some of the tips to heart. I have mostly fished for trout, and have just started to flyfish for salmon on the vedder and caught a pink salmon over the weekend on the fly.  But if you have never used a fly rod before, it probably would be a good idea to take some fly casting lessons. It will save you many hours of frustration as you try to get used to casting flyline.

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »

just found out the coarse in coquitlam was canceled

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 07:09:52 PM »

I would recommend a 9 or 9.5 foot 8 weight rod.  This will give you versatility to play with pinks and coho - yet give you backbone to have a chance with those springs and chum.  A 9 weight will give you more backbone - but it will be heavy to cast all day long and you may get fatigued.  A 7 weight is ideal for pinks and coho (I use a 796 Sage XP for smaller salmon), but will be a challenge for bigger fish.  If you haven't casted before - I would strongly recommend casting lessons.  If you know an experienced flyfisher - you may be able to learn from them.  Also - you should practice casting in a park.  Don't wait until you're on the river to learn how to cast.

Also - with respect to fighting springs or chums (or any salmon for that matter), if you don't play them correctly, you will risk breaking your rod irregardless of it's weight.  I use a Sage 896 RPL+ for springs and chum and it's got massive lifting power.  But if a big spring decides to turn downriver and I've got no more beach to run with the fish - I just point the rod tip at the fish and break off.  Sometimes, you can't stop a freight train!  Especially if it's foul hooked.

Moderate action rods (like the Sage Launch) are easier to learn to cast as they have a more "forgiving" timing window.  However, I prefer a fast action rod as it will cast those heavy sink tips with ease, and will do much better in the wind.  If casting distance isn't an issue, then this isn't so much an problem.  I would suggest going to a fly shop (or tackle store) and try to cast different rods and get a feel for what you like.

As for the reel - I would recommend a quality reel with a disc drag mechanism.  There are a number available in the 100 - 200 dollar range (and of course - some are much more expensive).  Again - I would suggest checking out a fly shop and asking them.

As for lines - I would recommend a multi-tip system.  My most commonly used tip is a type 6 150 (or 109) grain tip.  Don't bother trying to fish flowing water with a full sinking line or full floating line.  You can do it under certain conditions - but I would rather not explain that here.  Go with a multi-tip system.  Alternatively, you could by a WF floating line and cut it back into the belly section (12 - 15 feet) and attach a loop connector.  Then you can buy separate tips (Rio tips are around 20 - 25 bucks per tip).

Anyway - there's much more to this and it's certainly fun to learn!  I hope you do get into flyfishing for salmon - there's nothing like it.  Well - almost nothing (flyfishing for those Kamloops bows is my other passion).

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 08:40:20 PM »

Thanks magician that was alot of help.
[

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

No problem Floater!  If you have more specific questions - just ask and I'll do my best to help you.   :)

north

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:10:22 PM »

i would also suggest an 8 weight for coho and steelhead. you might want to get a seperate heavier set up if you want to target springs.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 09:11:46 PM »

just found out the coarse in coquitlam was canceled
Not to worry shrek I have one coming up at the Hamond Rec Hall starting on the Oct 17 call Parks & Rec Maple Ridge
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"