Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rio VersiTip Interchangeable Line help  (Read 10713 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Rio VersiTip Interchangeable Line help
« on: September 15, 2005, 09:35:37 PM »

I am the proud owner of a new fly set-up and have made a small investment in good gear with the goal of catching salmon on the fly as a regular basis.  I bought the 8 weight set and opened it up and i'm a bit baffled as to what lines to what.  If you are familiar with this system can you send me some pointers or a place on the net where I can look to determine what line does what?  I can basically tell that the clear head is a very slow or neutral sink which will be great for coho on the Harrison and I think the yellow is a floater, but I've got 3 other brown ones that look basically the same.  Please help if you can.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Rio VersiTip Interchangeable Line help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:59 PM »

The grey one is a Type 6 (sink rate of 6 ips). The green one is a Type 8 (8 ips). The brown is Type 3 (3 ips)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:57:34 PM »

The grey one is a Type 6 (sink rate of 6 ips). The green one is a Type 8 (8 ips). The brown is Type 3 (3 ips)
I thought the Type 3 was green, Type 6 grey and Type 8 Brown?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 11:00:44 PM »

ok this was on FishBC a little while ago. There should be bars on the loops of each tip. fat bar represents 5 "types" where as a skinny bar is 1 "type". so Fat..skinny is type 6 and Fat skinny skinny skinny is type 8 and skinny skinny skinny is type 3.
also the thinnest diameter should be the fastest sink.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:17:21 PM »

Now, I'm confused.

TtotheE

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 01:00:47 AM »

Think roman numerals,  and I think it all makes sense.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:44:51 AM »

Many thanks to all of you.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:09:46 PM »

I just checked my 2 sets of tips - at least on mine, the black bars on the loops note the line weight not the line "type". So one wide bar and 3 small bars mean the tip is for an 8 weight line. Likewise my set of nine weights are marked with one large bar and 4 small bars.  The tips are tagged when new but the loop color indicfates the line type. Green = type 8, grey or white = type 6, yellow = type 3. The intermediate is clear ands the floating tip is the same color as the main line. Another way to tell is the relative thickness. The thinner the line the higher the type # - the faster it sinks - becuase the coating used is denser.

Types refers to sinking lines - the higher the type # the faster it sinks

I use the clear tip for more than half my salmon fishing. Coho, pinks chums etc are often most available in "frog" water even in fast streams like the vedder -  tail outs, backwaters, slow pools. If it's a bit deeper or a bright day the type 3 is useful. For chum, sockeye and springs holding in deeper fast runs use the type 6 or 8 - but these are mostly for winter steelhead or still water. The floating tip is best for dry line applications like grease line or dry fly for steelhead.

You should call the shop you bought these from and get this cleared up or check the rio website.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stone

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 11:47:14 PM »

ok this was on FishBC a little while ago. There should be bars on the loops of each tip. fat bar represents 5 "types" where as a skinny bar is 1 "type". so Fat..skinny is type 6 and Fat skinny skinny skinny is type 8 and skinny skinny skinny is type 3.
also the thinnest diameter should be the fastest sink.

Don't you work at a shop?  You should know better.  ;D

RalphH is right, the bars denote the weight of the flyline that the tip is intended for, not the sink rate or "type".  If in doubt about the sink rate, look at the diameter of the tip.  The skinniest will be the fastest sink rate...at least you got that part right.