Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing the vedder for cutties  (Read 18370 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: fly fishing the vedder for cutties
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »

#12 & #14
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

James

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »

Thanks ,
I am heading up to the veddar( below the crossing ) tomorow to see if i can have a little fun with the trouts . Spoons should work to I would gather ?

James

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2005, 05:22:32 PM »

Just got back from the river today . I was down at peach rd . Only landed a few small trout . SOOOOOO many kids down there they were swimming in all the nice pools and backwater pockets . so there was not much chance for me . I may go mid week and see waht happens

On another note : there were many people down there with salmon gear trying to try there luck . I did not see any landed all day .

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »

James it sounds like you were fishing mid day. Wrong time at this time of year you want to be fishing when the sun is off the water, early morning before the sun is on the water, or evening when the shadows start. The other evening when I was there I didn't see one fish jump untill the sun had been of the water for an hour. Better luck next time.

James

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »

yeah i thought of that . But it was kinda a day/pinic trip thing with a litlle fishing included , I did not expect to catch many . I am gonna head up next week in the evening , that way all the kids will be gone , the bugs ( if any will be out ) and there will be alot more shady areas on the river .

buck

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 08:42:13 PM »

Cody, The chilliwack hatchery raises only steelhead smolts and not domestic rainbows for the angler. We do not hold some fish longer to get them up to a size so  that the angler will have more fun with them. All the fish you are catching are potential steelhead migrants. Not all steelhead smolts migrate out in the spring. There is a fall migration that takes place in the fall.There is a large size differece in the fish depending mainly on temperatue of the water and time of ponding . The largest fish are the first ponded and are in the range of 100 to 250 grams.( HALF POUND ) All these smolts are released the first week in May and are transporterd to release sites in the lower river. Remember you may be removing or potetially harming smolts that could return as an adult 2 - 3 yrs down the road.

Wool Bandit

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »

What the hell are you doing targeting steelhead smolts? That is sometimg that should never be done. There are too few steelhead left to be targeting thier young. Shame on you and anyone else that finds sport in doing something so disgusting. If you want to flyfish for trout go to the Skagit! :(

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2005, 04:40:50 PM »

the hacthery actually stocks it and hope that they become resident rainbows

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2005, 04:42:10 PM »

thats all i've heard ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2005, 09:45:15 PM »

Back in the early 90's I questioned a large number people on how to tell a steelhead from a rainbow. I got answers like steelhead are larger than rainbows, rainbows are fatter than steelhead, steelhead are shinier than rainbows, and then the best of them all steelhead had a matelic sheen to their heads. Then I asked fisheries and found out that the only true way to determine if a fish is a steelhead is the examine the scales under a microscope. So how do you know that those fish are steelhead and not rainbows. Who's to say they are not migrants from a lake stocking or some wayward residents from the fraser. One evening last summer  out of bordum I fished the Stave expecting to c&r a bunch of fanfries. "Dong" to my shock I hit some 18 inch bows. Where did they come from? My only guess is wayward residents from the fraser. Is it too much of a stretch to think that there may be some in the Vedder also? Well, maybe for some; but not me. 48 yeras of angling has taught me nothing is written in stone.