Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships - Oct 5-6, 2013  (Read 3150 times)

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships - Oct 5-6, 2013
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:55:46 AM »

[size=14]B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships[/size]
October 5 & 6, 2013

The Innovative Fly Fisher Forum is hosting the B.C. Provincial Fly Fishing Championships in the Maple Ridge on October 5 & 6, 2013. The 4 sessions of this year’s provincial championship will be held on 2 lake venues and 2 river venue. This will be the first time that a provincial youth fly fishing championship has been held in British Columbia, and should prove to be a fun and very informative experience.

The top ten competitors will qualify for a spot on the Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team, which travels throughout North America and overseas to compete and represent Canada at a number of local, national, and international competitions and conservation symposiums. Competitors should already know how to fly fish and have a good understanding of knots, casting, and are responsible for providing their own waders, fly fishing equipment, and flies.

Details about this year’s competition:
- Competitors must be 13-18 years old at some point during the year of the competition (2013)
- Entry fee: $25.00 per person (transportation, awards, and 2 boxed lunches are included with entry fees)
- Registration for this year’s event is based on a first-come, first-served basis
- Maximum number of participants: 24 competitors
- Registration closes at 9:00am on October 1, 2013
- There is a total of 4 sessions of competition (2 per day) within the championship
- Each session consists of 3 hours of angling
- Stillwater sessions will be fished from boats
- Floating and sinking devices are not allowed (strike indicators and splitshot)
- Eligible fish species: Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Mountain White Fish, and Northern Pike Minnow
- All fishing must be performed with a single, barbless fly, and on a catch & release basis
- Fly Fishing Canada’s Competition Rules for 2011 apply
- Competition Venues have a no-fish-policy, for all competitors and their associates, that is in affect starting 8:00am on October 1, 2013

Schedule for Saturday, October 5th:
Session 1: 9:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch break and relocation to next venue
Session2: 2:00pm - 5:00pm

Schedule for Sunday, October 6th:
Session 3: 9:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch break and relocation to next venue
Session 4: 2:00pm - 5:00pm

Competition Venues for the B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships:

Lake Venues:
Rolley Lake and Mike Lake have been selected as the 2 lake venues for the B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships. Local fly shops such as Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle and Riverside Fly & Tackle should be very helpful in providing some insight and advice on productive patterns and locations for fishing in both of these lakes.

For those of you who might not have fished Rolley or Mike Lake before; they are beautiful, little lakes that have a healthy stock of small, wild cutthroat trout and stocked rainbow trout. They are fairly sheltered from the wind, and it's possible to row from end to end on either lake in less than 10 minutes. Fish tend to be distributed fairly evenly throughout these lakes, with the smaller cutthroat being found amongst the weedbeds and shoreline, and the larger fish cruising along the drop-offs and in the shallows.

Black and olive Wooly Buggers, Rolled Muddler Minnows, Shrimp patterns, Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Dubbed Leeches, Carrie Specials, Black Boobies, Dragonfly and Damselfly Nymphs, as well as a variety of small dry flies (size no. 12 - 16) tend to be very productive in these lakes.

River Venues:
Stave River and the Alouette River will be used as the river venues. The exact locations of the competition beats will determined one week before the date of the competition, and a map identifying the beats will then be forwarded in private emails to all of the competitors.

Streamers (black, olive, and white Woolly Buggers, and Rolled Muddler Minnows), egg patterns, and heavily-weighted nymphs (Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Gold Ribbed Hares Ears, and Czech Nymphs) have proved to be very effective for targeting the Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden, Bull Trout, Northern Pike Minnow, and Mountain Whitefish that inhabit both of these rivers.

Contact Todd Oishi at: info@innovativeflyfisher.com for more information about this event, or to offer your services as a volunteer or to become an official sponsor of this event.

Please stay tuned for further updates and announcements...

Updated List of Competitors (as of Sept 15, 2013):
1.     Max Cohen
2.     Noah Kelly
3.     Austyn Briggs
4.     Tyler Wilkinson
5.     Mattia Mangione
6.     Carlos Daniel Romero
7.     Evan Paterson
8.     Matthew Nielsen
9.     Travis Dougall
10.   Curtis Kehler
11.   Cody Wolfe
12.   Doug Thorpe
13.   Matthew Morris
14.   Alex Baumiester
15.   Jordan Vivieros

(Maximum of 24 Competitors)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:59:14 PM by Todd Oishi »
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

koifish

Re: B.C. Provincial Youth Fly Fishing Championships - Oct 5-6, 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »

I am thinking of joining but I don't know many knots for tying hooks also I think I know how to fly fish I can cast far almost to other end of vedder river and I do catch alot of fish on fly so I think I know but I don't know if I'm doing it properly that's the thing
I can cast distance almost other end of vedder river train bridge where you drive down not at the bridge exactly
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:36:33 PM by koifish »