Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Master, Rodney And Me, Fishing Merritt A Mini Journal May 29th & 30th, 2007  (Read 6692 times)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
Re: The Master, Rodney And Me, Fishing Merritt A Mini Journal
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »

The only downer on this trip was Chris' choice of restaurants. The selection leaves much to be desired unless cold eggs, cold potatoes and cold toast turns you on.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

Photos from May 29th

Sunny sky, green surroundings, glassy lake, anticipation, paradise

Brook trout

Another brook trout

Pretty dots

More brook trout!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »

Photos from May 30th

Another paradise

Kaos on the boat

Down time on the boat

Tired, tanned, defeated, ready to go home

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
A brookie day with Fishersak and Senior, June 1st, 2007
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »

After spending a couple of nights in Kelowna to catch up with some old friends who I have not seen in several years, I met up with Fishersak and his father as planned to fish for brook trout before returning to Vancouver. The day started at 7:00am for me as I drove out of Kelowna, which sure has evolved into a rather big city in the last several years.

As I reached the area where I was supposed to turn-off, I began looking for it by rewinding the trip with Chris and Nick. Suddenly Fishersak's truck and boat sped right past me from the oncoming traffic. Oops, I guess that I had passed it. ::) A quick turnaround and we were at the lake in no time. Fishersak got out of the car. He seemed rather excited as he walked towards me. Behind him, the truck and trailer began rolling backward. I yelled, "The truck! Hand brake! Moving!" :o He turned around, only to see the truck slowly gaining momentum. He ran toward it as fast as he could while his dad sat in the car hopelessly. What a son. ;) Luckily, the trailer turned and prevented the truck to go backward any further. Talk about excitement before the fishing even started. ;D

After we launched our boats, we took some time to observe the water along the lake shore. A closer look discovered snails, shrimps, dragonfly nymphs, tadpoles and many other aquatic creatures that are unknown to us. This aspect of lake fishing is really enjoyable as it brings back memory of childhood days when many of us would poke around a pond for tiny critters. It is also advantageous to spend the time to observe and learn what feeds are available in a particular lake.

As soon as we reached our fishing spots, rises of brook trout could be spotted. According to Nick, this is always a very good sign as they can be extremely moody. He was right of course, not long after I started, I felt a good tap as I stripped a size 8 leech in. Meanwhile, the indicator on the other rod sat idly. A few minutes later, Fishersak radioed and said, "Fish on!"

From that point, the bites came on for the next two hours. My indicator started to dive quite often, many times right after I casted it out. The fly of choice for me was a size 14 chronie that Carlo had tied up for me at Leighton Lake. It has been the same fly that I have caught most of the fish in every lake. Hopefully I will not lose that, otherwise I will have to ask him to teach me how to tie them up. ;D

In total, I managed to hook 12 and landed 7 fish, but instead of learning my lesson and sticking to one rod when the fish were biting, I continued to strip the leech while the indicator bobbed. This resulted in a few dozen misses. ::) Fishersak and Senior did not fair as well, their total catch was 2 fish. Being their first outing for brook trout may be the factor, but then again this was only my second attempt for brook trout. ;D

The bites seemed to have died off by mid afternoon when the wind picked up. At 4:00pm, I started getting hits again on the indicator but missed all seven of them before we ended the trip. ::)

All the fish we landed were between 1 and 2lb, unlike some very large ones that we found on Tuesday.

Here are some photos from this outing.

First of the day

Another look

The fight

The netting

Success!

Silver bugger

Rowing in spectacular scenery

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I guess he was so excited when he saw the photos I had sent him prior trip. ;D I hope you had the video camera rolling with the truck episode. It is always good to have it close to you as you never know when a blooper can developer. I saw that first hand when yo had that nice rainbow on and I was rolling and got you fighting the rainbow and a 10 pound anchor. Watch out when I figure how to get this stuff on you tube. ;D ;D

I guess "The Master" will have to take them but I was fishing with him that day we were there and I only caught two also.

Nice report and photo's, we look forward to the video production of your trip.

I am taking some of my sister's grandchildren to Cultus Lake shortly, maybe the pike minnows will not be as challenging as those brookies are to me, Fishersak and his dad. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Come on Chris, you don't need a landing net for that minnow. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

You're just jealous that it's better than your Lafarge. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Beautiful brookies. I will be catching some brookies soon. Only 2 more weeks untill I am back up in that area.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard

excellent report guys!  Awsome pics!

I will be reporting on my fawn/deka trip shortly!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

While fishing on Friday with Fishersak and Senior, I kept one brook trout and released all the others. Good thing that I only kept one. ::) Last night I cooked it up and it had a very strong muddy taste. I've eaten carp, various minnow species, never have I tasted something so awful in my life. :-X

On a funnier note, while driving back from my Leighton Lake trip a couple of weeks ago, the girl at the toll booth commented on the very visible racoon tan on my face. ::) Last week, that tan just became even more visible as Nick started to call me "Racoon Rodney" during the whole trip. On my way home last Friday, I approached the toll booth, stopped the car, looked up, the same girl was at the booth again. ::) Obviously she recognized my face from the tan right away and had a good chuckle. :P

dennyman

• Old Timer

Great report guys. Good to see  a fishing report with a lot of detail and pics. As far as the fish tasting muddy, that is one of those things that can be a hit and miss thing. I have fished lakes in the Okanagan with my brother and his friends and the fish we catch usually taste pretty good. Sometimes the muddy tasting fish come out of the shallower lakes,  but I remember keeping some fish out of a high elevation lake, that also had an algae bloom occurring.  The fish to put it politely tasted off.  But a couple of weeks later talked to some other people that fished the lake  after the algae bloom was over, and they said the fish they caught tasted good. Anyhow you live and you learn.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:53:11 PM by dennyman »

BladeKid

• Old Timer

awesome reports!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

must be nice to fish those pay lakes????lol
No need to fish pay lakes when fishing with "The Master". ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer