Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raymarine Wi-Fish - Anyone have experience?  (Read 2141 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Raymarine Wi-Fish - Anyone have experience?
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »

Seems like a really cool gizmo.  Basically it uses all the technology from the full units, without the screen.  Comes with the sending unit and transducer, CHIRP & DownView;

For $200 US, it could be a great solution if you have an old phone or tablet laying around to use as the screen.  Other passengers can link up to it as well so they can see whats going on from their end of the boat.

Anyone try one of these?  Or have any Raymarine unit that has the WIFI capability?  Wondering how well it works...

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: Raymarine Wi-Fish - Anyone have experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »

I have looked at those as well - the PRO version of the regular finders (with screen) also include that service/app - the 4" screen Dragonfly PRO is a little under $100 more .... the app allows the Bluetooth as well, so your buddies on board can watch (and record) the display.... durability with water (and salt in some cases) may be an issue with handheld phones, tablets etc - even with a case.

The one thing to note, is that you ensure receive the version with Navionics+ (newest version and includes Canada) in it - I ordered one from Amazon and received old stock with Navionics GOLD (no Canada).  Not sure if the electronics are newer or not, but sent it back in any case.  Yet to re-order, but I'll get around to it....

I know a couple of people with the screen version that love it (only one has the PRO with the app, but hasn't played with it enough to comment, seems like a fun extra he said).

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »

Yeah, good point.  For just $100 more you can get the full GPS/Sounder that includes the WIFI.  Probably worth it to keep hard mounted at the helm, then use an old tablet as a portable screen for DI when fishing from my bow or stern platforms.

The worst part is this;

Raymarine WIFI Only - $200
Raymarine Pro4 GPS/Charplotter/Card - $300
Raymarine Pro5 GPS/Chartplotter/Card- $550!

For a 1" larger screen, its $250 more.  There is no other additional functionality between the 4 and 5.  A 4" screen is so small.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:12:46 PM by Damien »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

It is small and a lot more to go up an inch, but still for my money, I'm going with the small (cause of price) so I have a protected screen that's always there in case the tablet battery or tablet itself dies (or goes swimming LOL).... I'm considering it a backup, not the main screen in most cases.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.