Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469976 times)

MetalAndFeathers

lol, that's exactly what I did this morning! ;D I snuck up to someone else's fish on the beach, laid my rod down, and BAM!

LOL thats how you catch a hatchery coho for FWR guaranteed!

fishbuster

Nice work Rod.

Byronnn

Thanks everyone who reviewed the Coho and Chinook identification, I think I've got it now. That's what makes this forum so great :)

And to Noah, I knew it wasn't a sockeye because of the spots. So I didn't have any doubt it was either a coho or spring, and hatchery, I just slipped up on the gum markings. The (very obviously quite experienced) guy beside me said it was a nice fish and he'd take it if I didn't want it. So I wouldn't say I had any doubt it was retainable.

Rod those are nice fish, caught today? I presume you were casting hardware, what type of water is good for that? Deep slow pools?

bigsnag

• Old Timer

You are just jealous, just like big snag above. ! :P  ;)
LOL, yes, a little bit.
3 times into the backing, that's work.
She didn't go into the snags, that's lucky.
Beautiful fish, great pose.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:02:17 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

Nicolas The Fisherman

Hatchery buck from the lower this AM.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Rod those are nice fish, caught today? I presume you were casting hardware, what type of water is good for that? Deep slow pools?

Yep those were yesterday's fish. Some were caught by casting and retrieving a spoon, the rest were caught on Pautzke Bait FireCured coho roe under a float.

Busy day on the river as expected. A couple more pics.

Back to the fish ID topic. Good for Byronnn and others who are willing to make an effort to identify fish correctly and people should lighten up, be helpful instead of belittling them when a mistake is made. Fish identification is incredibly hard, many seem to forget how challenging it can be when they first started out. What looks easy on paper becomes a completely different ball game when done in the field. It's good to see questions being asked, regardless how obvious or not, and it is also good to see questions being answered by several helpful experienced forum members constantly. Keep it up.

milo

• Old Timer

Connected with three beautiful coho today but couldn't keep a single one on the hook. :-\
Caught my first chum. Surprisingly, it was in full camo attire already, sporting those large canines.

Yelled at two idiots to let go a spring they wanted to keep even though it was foul hooked. I am glad they listened because I was really cranky due to back pain.

Should be good tomorrow morning for those that get there really early. The weather report calls for more sunshine meaning wary fish once the sun is out. Water dropped even more, yielding a lot of hardware in the canal. I found so many spoons, spinners and jigs with barbs (even treble hooks), it's not even funny anymore.

Don't people know the rules or do they ignore them deliberately?
Looking forward to a quiet Sunday at home.

Tight lines to all those that head out.

losos

"Don't people know the rules or do they ignore them deliberately?"

I'm surprised by now you haven't figured it . Just look how people drive , it is the same pattern. Rules are for others.
They need to fill their freezers by any means especially when they spent money on gear, licence and gas.
It is frustrating, but DFO's budget is no existent and there is lack of enforcement.

swimmingwiththefishes

Speaking of DFO's budget. There is an election soon, and don't waste your vote. Let's get rid of this clown.

votetogether.ca

Drewhill

Fished all day saturday and it was probably one of the busiest days I've ever seen. Wanted to start lower so I broke my own advice and went early to grab a spot. I was 1 1/2 hours early and a dozen guys were already set up and waiting  :-\ Moved to a less crowded spot but it was slow all morning. The busy spot only yielded 2 coho and a spring for those guys.

Went mid river which was packed. Got in an argument with a guy. Me and a buddy went to drop in between him and his buddy who were really spaced quite far apart. When we dropped in we realized it was way too tight for two guys so we were going to just fish one guy. The one angler started chirping that there was no room for even one of us and just kept yapping so we decided we didn't want to deal with it so just took a step back and had a break. Turns out about 20 minutes later two more of their buddies showed up and then suddenly there was enough room for them  ??? Turns out he was just mouthing us off so he could reserve spots for his buddies. Needless to say we let him know that's not really how it works but he didn't seem to care. They were experienced anglers too which makes it even worse, they should know better. I guess anyone can get coho fever this time of year.

The great news is that we saw DFO all over the river yesterday. Saw them cover KWB and lower and then again at Tamahi moving their way up. Awesome to see them out there.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Connected with three beautiful coho today but couldn't keep a single one on the hook. :-\
Caught my first chum. Surprisingly, it was in full camo attire already, sporting those large canines.

Yelled at two idiots to let go a spring they wanted to keep even though it was foul hooked. I am glad they listened because I was really cranky due to back pain.

Should be good tomorrow morning for those that get there really early. The weather report calls for more sunshine meaning wary fish once the sun is out. Water dropped even more, yielding a lot of hardware in the canal. I found so many spoons, spinners and jigs with barbs (even treble hooks), it's not even funny anymore.

Don't people know the rules or do they ignore them deliberately?
Looking forward to a quiet Sunday at home.

Tight lines to all those that head out.

I had the same thing happen to me.  Could not land any of the three that I hooked.  Water is very low and clear.  I was able to find a nice clean spring doe of about 20 lbs which yielded some nice berries.  Neighbors are also grateful that I kept the fish.  Hmm maybe I will try smoking one again.  Did see a group kill 5 adult springs for 4 people.  They claimed that one of them was a coho because it had a clipped adipose.  they did sound like they didn't know any better so I didn't press it too much.  Gave them a quick fish ID lesson and told them that you will find clipped springs as well so be careful. 

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Fished all day saturday and it was probably one of the busiest days I've ever seen. Wanted to start lower so I broke my own advice and went early to grab a spot. I was 1 1/2 hours early and a dozen guys were already set up and waiting  :-\ Moved to a less crowded spot but it was slow all morning. The busy spot only yielded 2 coho and a spring for those guys.

Went mid river which was packed. Got in an argument with a guy. Me and a buddy went to drop in between him and his buddy who were really spaced quite far apart. When we dropped in we realized it was way too tight for two guys so we were going to just fish one guy. The one angler started chirping that there was no room for even one of us and just kept yapping so we decided we didn't want to deal with it so just took a step back and had a break. Turns out about 20 minutes later two more of their buddies showed up and then suddenly there was enough room for them  ??? Turns out he was just mouthing us off so he could reserve spots for his buddies. Needless to say we let him know that's not really how it works but he didn't seem to care. They were experienced anglers too which makes it even worse, they should know better. I guess anyone can get coho fever this time of year.

The great news is that we saw DFO all over the river yesterday. Saw them cover KWB and lower and then again at Tamahi moving their way up. Awesome to see them out there.

I've noticed the same thing.  I used to think that we were crazy to come out to the river as early as we did.  We usually were the first ones there.  Nowadays you find people there at 2 or 3 in the morning.  Some even camping out overnight.  I saw DFO mid river yesterday.  They were giving out a ticket to someone that had not written their spring on their license. 

On another note, has anyone seen any creel workers on the river this year?  Part of the budget cuts?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

On another note, has anyone seen any creel workers on the river this year?  Part of the budget cuts?

There is one sitting by KWB. She has been there everyday for a couple of weeks now.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Where did the clipped springs come from? I didn't know there would be any there...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

"Don't people know the rules or do they ignore them deliberately?"

I'm surprised by now you haven't figured it . Just look how people drive , it is the same pattern. Rules are for others.
They need to fill their freezers by any means especially when they spent money on gear, licence and gas.
It is frustrating, but DFO's budget is no existent and there is lack of enforcement.

I ran into a member from this forum but did not get his name but he does know how to fish as well as what the regulations are and he still killed 2 adult springs. When I confronted him he said that 1 was for his buddy at home. I then asked him if his license had a section that he could record fish for friends. Of course he said no so I asked him why he then thought it was ok to kill 2 adult springs on the same day.I guess that some people just dont care and have no  ethics. I did get a picture of him and I did report him to fisheries. Could not wait around to see if they showed up because my back was too sore to stay any longer.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day