Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469984 times)

milo

• Old Timer

Next time if your friend is there, just hand him the rod to land it and there's no problem.

I would say hand the rod over to the friend as soon as the fish is hooked. Handing the rod only to land an exhausted fish is frowned upon and a hell of a grey area.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Wet foot, dry foot. Anyone who fights the fish and lands it before it comes to hand is the "catcher".

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Is the horse dead yet?

ribolovac02

Thank you Rieber. Let's give credit where credit is due. Our fellow FWR member ribolovac (who took the pic) suggested the pose and the angle. It is much better than the traditional hero pose. I hardly take pictures of my catches anymore. But this one was rare and memorable and I am glad ribolovac was there with his iPhone to capture the moment. :)

Thanks milo for the kind words, it was good to c you out there again.
I just did what I would expect every angler to do for me when I get a nice slab like the one you got...

Cheers

LP89CG

Landed my first coho this morning, a big beauty wild on a croc. I had a few coho on.. and then off. One broke off and is now swimming around with a nice size 4 gold blue fox in it's mouth :(

Had 2 pinks landed towards noon, but the bite was off about an hour after first light. One guy had his limit in no time.

I have really come to appreciate fishing during the week instead of being a warrior on the weekend. I thought my spot was somewhat isolated and difficult to get to but Sunday morning proved that wrong. Too bad my days off are coming up to the weekends. I might just have to take a hike this weekend.

LP89CG

Good job Geff.
Some people just don't give a damn. As far as I am concerned, put the picture up and let's all see the face of this loser.
I don't mind someone occasionally passing a rod to a licensed buddy or a kid to play and maybe land a spring to take home, but to catch and kill more than your quota and then give a lame excuse that it is for a buddy at home is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
Off course, Rodney will probably oppose this, but IMO public shaming and steep fines are the only way to get people to smarten up.
I believe Geff wrote "adult chinooks". By definition, those are over 62 cm in the Vedder.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

Ok, just so I can get this spoon fed to me...

I could retain 4 chinook out of the Vedder. 3 or 4 could be 30cm -61cm. I can only retain 1 over the 62cm.

or am i completely off and after all the numbers its only 1 adult chinook out of the vedder despite size.

Nicolas The Fisherman

I could retain 4 chinook out of the Vedder. 3 or 4 could be 30cm -61cm. I can only retain 1 over the 62cm.

or am i completely off and after all the numbers its only 1 adult chinook out of the vedder despite size.
You're right. 

Sandman

• Old Timer

And adult Chinook in the Vedder is, by definition, over 62cm:

An “adult chinook” in Region 2 is defined as being over 50 cm except in the following areas where an “adult chinook” is defined as being over 62 cm:
a) the Fraser River downstream of the powerline crossing approximately 1 km above the Agassiz/Rosedale bridge from Sep 01 - Dec 31
b) the Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River); the Harrison River and the Capilano River.

Any Chinook in those rivers under 62cm is considered a Jack Spring
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:11:20 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Nicolas The Fisherman

Also, you are only allowed 10 Chinook over 62cm a year and each one must be recorded on the license.

243Pete

Thank you guys, Geff_T I'll introduce myself properly next time and thank you for your understanding.  :)
Milo it's all good, I did something stupid and that warrents being called a loser. I can always admit to doing something wrong and I am glad there are guys such as yourself and Geff_T who don't fool around when it comes to the regulations and calling out someone for not following them and informing them about it. Next time I'll hook the fish and get my friend to come over and fight it in, but I probably won't as I'm not fond of getting into any grey areas of the law and not wanting a similar situation to arise again.
As for today, my buddy who had the verbal match with the guy who called him "funny dude" from across the river, he got his first spring this season on his centerpin, almost knuckle dusted himself a few times and now knows just how hard it is to fight a good sized fish on a pin. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:54:11 AM by 243Pete »

Riverman

• old fart

Pete you are a better man than many of the self styled critics that abound in the sport fishing community. Good on you and many successful days in the future.
Riverman

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water continues to drop. We fished a couple of hours this afternoon but had no success beside a few quick takes which we missed at the beginning. The forecasted rain in the next two days should improve the fishing before the river blows out.

LP89CG

Had a decent morning. Lost 2 right away then landed a wild. The bite was off shortly after first light. The guy behind me fishing a different section got his limit within an hour, goes to show where the Coho where.

I stuck around to try a few different spots, practice my twitching, etc. landed a chum, that was fun, and tiring.

I seem to get a few takes on the jig but I'm not sure if they are too light and im missing it or if I just cant set the hook well enough.

Im not very seasoned with the fall fishery. Is the bite always off so abruptly or is it a combination of water levels, clarity, number of fish?

milo

• Old Timer

Is the bite always off so abruptly or is it a combination of water levels, clarity, number of fish?

Usually depends on whether the fish already there moves on and/or new fish replaces them or not.
The clearer the water, the shorter the fish will stay in one place.

Remember the age-old adage: "If you can see them, they can see you."

NiceFish

• Old Timer

I've never had much success when the water is low and clear and the sun is out.