Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469983 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

You also got a hatchery coho by the looks of that picture....?

Edit: ah, fic beat me to it. LOL

fic

• Old Timer

You also got a hatchery coho by the looks of that picture....?

Edit: ah, fic beat me to it. LOL
Lol, at work in front of the computer. Wishing I could be on the river right now :)  Fishing in my head and catching lots!

cglasgow

Looks like you gave him one last ciggy before you finished him off what a compassionate fellow

Nicolas The Fisherman

Slow going on the lower this AM. Didn't get any hits today, but a coho jack was landed and released by a fellow FWR member and a 20-25 pound spring was landed and retained by a guy further up the run but that was the extent of things. Starting to run low on bait again. :-\ I need to get a spring or a chum doe.

Byronnn

Oh boy I thought that one I kept was a jack spring! It had as many spots on the bottom half of the tail at the top and the mouth was mostly black! The first wild coho I caught had a very white mouth so I figured this was a spring. I bonked it once I saw it was hatchery but it looks like I need to figure out some more identifying characteristics!

Is the best way to look at the gums where the teeth erupt? Black = Chinook? I looked at outer mouth and tongue area but not specifically the gums.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Wow..... That coho you killed is about the best example of a coho you will find. Maybe you should go back to C&R.

Edit: I guess you didn't read the thread about clipped Sockeye in the river as well?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:59:37 AM by Noahs Arc »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Oh boy I thought that one I kept was a jack spring! It had as many spots on the bottom half of the tail at the top and the mouth was mostly black! The first wild coho I caught had a very white mouth so I figured this was a spring. I bonked it once I saw it was hatchery but it looks like I need to figure out some more identifying characteristics!

Is the best way to look at the gums where the teeth erupt? Black = Chinook? I looked at outer mouth and tongue area but not specifically the gums.

It takes time and experience. Don't listen to everyone who is saying it's easy. It's not always easy. That said - if you're not sure, let it go. Every time.

The easiest way to identify a coho vs a Chinook is a combination the following:

Mouth - Chinook mouth is almost all black. Coho mouth is black too, but the line along the teeth (especially on the bottom) is white, as you mention above.

Tail - Vedder Chinook OFTEN have a more heavily spotted tail (top and bottom), but not always. Coho OFTEN have a less heavily spotted tail (on the top or barely at all), but not always.

Back - Chinook usually have heavier/thicker spots along their back, sometimes they'll seem oval-ish or look a bit like kidney beans. Coho typically have smaller or less dense spots along their back.

Bottom line is, no single feature is foolproof. A combination of the above should help you be fairly certain though. And each of the above is a general statement, not a rule. There are many exceptions.

LP89CG

Lol, at work in front of the computer. Wishing I could be on the river right now :)  Fishing in my head and catching lots!

Im in the same boat.  ;)

swimmingwiththefishes

It takes time and experience. Don't listen to everyone who is saying it's easy. It's not always easy. That said - if you're not sure, let it go. Every time.

The easiest way to identify a coho vs a Chinook is a combination the following:

Mouth - Chinook mouth is almost all black. Coho mouth is black too, but the line along the teeth (especially on the bottom) is white, as you mention above.

Tail - Vedder Chinook OFTEN have a more heavily spotted tail (top and bottom), but not always. Coho OFTEN have a less heavily spotted tail (on the top or barely at all), but not always.

Back - Chinook usually have heavier/thicker spots along their back, sometimes they'll seem oval-ish or look a bit like kidney beans. Coho typically have smaller or less dense spots along their back.

Bottom line is, no single feature is foolproof. A combination of the above should help you be fairly certain though. And each of the above is a general statement, not a rule. There are many exceptions.

Don't forget the big hook nose on coho males.

BTW for those of you still fishing the Fraser make sure to know the differences even more so as big interior wild coho (endangered and must be released) can easily be mistaken for a chinook.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Slow going on the lower this AM. Didn't get any hits today, but a coho jack was landed and released by a fellow FWR member and a 20-25 pound spring was landed and retained by a guy further up the run but that was the extent of things. Starting to run low on bait again. :-\ I need to get a spring or a chum doe.

Surgeon General was right. Cigarettes kill

standalone

Is was white but after the cigarette. check the mouse before smoke next time.

farky

Start at the top of the run if you want a spring ,gl see you out there .

milo

• Old Timer

Tex pretty much covered the ID-ing features you need to be aware of.
It gets easier with time. Many have been the times I saved a wild coho from being bonked by someone who thought it was a spring. Once I even got into an argument because the angler was really upset I wouldn't let him kill his catch. I ended up wrestling the fish away from him and releasing it myself. He wasn't happy.  ::)
On the flip side, the vast majority of times people are reasonable and thankful.

MetalAndFeathers

Copy cat... ;D But thanks, I need every opportunity I can get to post this photo up. ;D

Hmmm looks exactly like my pics, where I put my hook into half dead fishes mouths! ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Hmmm looks exactly like my pics, where I put my hook into half dead fishes mouths! ;D ;D

lol, that's exactly what I did this morning! ;D I snuck up to someone else's fish on the beach, laid my rod down, and BAM!