Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leader length  (Read 11589 times)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Leader length
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 10:43:37 AM »

My nemesis is always that weight - it is what always seems to get snagged on me - any suggestions

Side your float down, so it keeps your weight off the bottom.

buck

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 12:31:02 PM »

ZIMMER
        Learn to shorten up when float fishing. After years of fishing I STILL have to remind myself to reduce my float depth. As for your 2-3 foot leaders shoten them up as well. If your fishing in 2 -3 feet of water your bait is  most  lickley floating close to the surface. You really don't need more than 18 inches .I normally use about a foot when steelheading. When fishing a deep pool during a low clear water situation you then may want to lenghten you leader. If you are constantly hanging up , your fishing to deep.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 12:44:14 PM »

On another note, I was making tea in the kitchen while watching  Mark Pendleton on Fishing BC. He mentioned something about using a floating weight on his set-up for river fishing. What the heck is that. I always have my weight fixed.

Never heard of a floating weight setup

buck

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »

FISH ASSASSIN

Most likely he meant sliding weight, not floating weight.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 03:08:19 PM »

Yep, sliding weight. Two reasons I prefer a sliding weight than a fixed weight:

• If you tie/connect a fixed weight onto the swivel, it would be dangling and often causing tangles with the leader.
  • If you pinch a fixedweight onto your main line, it may damage the line after awhile.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »

for float fishing for salmon
12 to 18 inches of leader for wool and single egg presentation
18 to 24 inches for roe or other fresh baits
24 inches for colorado/ french blades, under the float.
i use surgical tube and a 1 to 2 1/2 inch pencil lead and float to match water speed and turbulence.
I don't believe in dragging bottom with my weight and will adjust float depth so as to feel only the occasional tick on the bigger rocks in a particular run
6 to 12 lbs leader for coho
10 to 12 lbs for anything bigger than 20lbs. mainline is ALWAYS maxima ultra green 15 lbs

steelhead is a whole other ballgame.
changing leaders from maxima to flourocarbon (p-line cfx) and from 8 to 12lbs
main stays the same except when spoon fishing with ironheads or k2's, this i use 14 lbs smoke fireline with a rod and half length of 15lbs spliced in at the end as a strike shock absorber.
here is where i will only use balsa or drennan floats and my weights switch from pencil lead to split shot.

the satisfaction of enticing a fish to bite on a well presented rig that is "shortfloated" sure beats the hell outta flossing em.

zimmer

• One Percent Realty Ltd
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2005, 07:13:39 PM »

I did shorten up on the float and yes it is a sliding weight set-up - my mistake

Seemed to work pretty well at the stave today

Seems to be some awfully large chum in the Stave right now - gave my 17lb test main line a real work-out. The fly rod got one hell of a work out too
Zimmer

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 07:55:55 PM »

I hate using surgical tubing with pencil lead. Lose too much lead.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 08:55:14 PM »

buy some cord and fill it with shot (bigger the shot the better because your slinkie can be shorter).  burn and pinch the ends and add a swivel at one end.  It works better than tubing and lead sticks. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »

ZIMMER
        Learn to shorten up when float fishing. After years of fishing I STILL have to remind myself to reduce my float depth. As for your 2-3 foot leaders shoten them up as well. If your fishing in 2 -3 feet of water your bait is  most  lickley floating close to the surface. You really don't need more than 18 inches .I normally use about a foot when steelheading. When fishing a deep pool during a low clear water situation you then may want to lenghten you leader. If you are constantly hanging up , your fishing to deep.
Good post. If people would follow this they would not foul hooking so many fish that is happening to much in my mind. I would be interested in hearing how many fish at the hatchery are carrying a lot of unnessary ornaments on their arrivial.

goblin59

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 11:02:57 PM »

Personally I prefer a bit longer leader, up to about 42". I got into this habit after many guided trips on the Stamp, where a longer leader seems to be the norm. As for weights, I use a sliding weight.... a free running snap swivel and a bead on my mainline, then the appropraite length of pencil lead clipped on.