Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leader length  (Read 11590 times)

zimmer

• One Percent Realty Ltd
Leader length
« on: October 08, 2005, 07:59:09 AM »

JUst curious what length of leader everyone is using?
Zimmer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Leader length
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 10:09:09 AM »

For what?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 10:19:14 AM »

As I short float only, I use 12 to 18 inches. A couple of reasons, it helps keep your bait down in the zone you want to be fishing, it keeps foul hooking of fish to a minimum and rightly or wrongly I believe fish are not bothered by the weight being close to your bait.

For example one of the top steelhead rods on the Vedder uses only about 10 inches!!!!!  Maybe I better shorten up mine. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 02:02:58 PM »

12-24" is a good standard to go by depending on water conditions.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »

Man i dont get it i was using about 12 inch or less leader today fishing none crowded water with good roe. Perfect depth and i didnt get a coho.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 10:02:52 PM by Floater »
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 07:57:59 PM »

You were not the only one.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 08:20:44 PM »

It's not only leader length.  If the fish are a little spooky and the water allows, you may want to go a little longer with lighter leader.  You never know if your weight or float is spooking them.  You really have to mend your float with a longer leader.  Keep a tight leash on it because it doesn't dive like it does with a short leader.  Oh and just to make sure you don't snag, don't set the hook at the end of the drift. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »

We were discussing this over lunch today. I personally don't believe the float or weight spook the fish as the presentation on the hook reaches the fish first in a drift.

Under clearer, lower water conditions, simply downsize your float, and use a smaller weight.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 09:38:11 PM »

For sox I use 15'-20' leader.   ;D ;D ;D
For coho I mostly flyfish with 8' leader with 2'-4' tippit.
Float fishing 2'-4' leader.

They are pretty much standard, I think.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 10:02:13 PM »

We were discussing this over lunch today. I personally don't believe the float or weight spook the fish as the presentation on the hook reaches the fish first in a drift.

Under clearer, lower water conditions, simply downsize your float, and use a smaller weight.
Or you can use a drennen the fish cant see them right?
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 10:06:49 PM »

You guys are obsessed with Drennans. Oh wait, I use Drennans all the time. ;D I use Drennan mainly because of the colour of its top, which makes sighting it very easy. The shape of the float seems to make it quite stable and sensitive. I don't think the clear body has much effect on the fish. If it does, then it doesn't make sense why some locals with foam floats are outfishing me most of the time. ;D

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 10:14:43 PM »

Good debate.  Also being an avid fly fisher, I think the clear float may have something to do with it during clear water and sunny days.  It is probably less apt to cast a shaddow.  Also, downsizing the # test of your leader will give the bait a more natural drift.  I fish at Rocky Ford Creek alot and have seen on many occasions, fish spook because of the wake left by the knot tied between my leader and fly line.  This creek gets hammered as much as anywhere and has very educated fish. 

As far as how effective drennans are with salmon would be very hard to measure.  These fish are not around for very long and may not learn to associate floats with being hooked.  It may just be another piece of debrit in the water. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 10:27:25 PM »

good point.  It would suck to loose some if you paid $7.00 for them.  I bought some just to say that I have them and maybe they'll give me a leg up on my buddies.  However I found them at fishusa.com for about $2.80 a piece. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 10:40:13 PM »

good point.  It would suck to loose some if you paid $7.00 for them.  I bought some just to say that I have them and maybe they'll give me a leg up on my buddies.  However I found them at fishusa.com for about $2.80 a piece. 
The ones we use 20 grams are listed at $3.95 and the 28 grams ones at $4.45 . After paying the exchange, duty and the shipping most likely the same as here.

Of course instead you can find ones that others have lost for nothing out on the river, I have found 4 that Rodney has lost already this year. ;D ;D

zimmer

• One Percent Realty Ltd
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 09:04:10 AM »

love this kind of info - I have been using anywhere from 3 ft to 6 ft leaders with either 10 or 12lb test

On another note, I was making tea in the kitchen while watching  Mark Pendleton on Fishing BC. He mentioned something about using a floating weight on his set-up for river fishing. What the heck is that. I always have my weight fixed.

My nemesis is always that weight - it is what always seems to get snagged on me - any suggestions

THC

Simmer

Zimmer