Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bulk Ooligan Purchase  (Read 6106 times)

Zpg

Bulk Ooligan Purchase
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

It looks like this year local stores are selling Ooligans in a 6 pack for $7.50-$8.00 per. Last year I went through 50 4-packs and this year I plan to fish more often so the bait cost is getting a bit steep, especially that I am now running a 135hp instead of the 25hp last year....ouch!

I am hoping to get a few guys together to make a bulk purchase of Ooligans. I understand that store cost is in the $4.50 per 6-pack....that is not confirmed however. If anyone is interested in doing a joint purchase let me know and I will do the calling to find the best deal. Alternatively, if anyone has an Oolie connection please PM me!!

Thx.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:14:20 PM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Bulk Ooligan Purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »

ZPG Im in for a spilt if you get a bulk package!
weeeeeeeeeow!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »

Best way to do it is drive down to Oregon and buy them yourself. You should be able to get them pretty damn cheap.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »

Best way to do it is drive down to Oregon and buy them yourself. You should be able to get them pretty damn cheap.

Your potential savings could be offset by the high cost of gas driving down to Oregon.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

....the only thing about crossing the border is coming back!i bet you'd need some paperwork to bring baitfish or anyfish back to good ole Canada....

There is no problem bringing fish into Canada done it from the USA and Mexico both a number of times.

Fish doesn't carry any kind of disease (like Pork would for instance) so you're just waved through.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:48:11 AM »

Unless the fish are flash frozen to I think -60 there sure is the possibility of disease - not to humans but to the water to where you are using it.
Which brings me to something I do not understand and maybe someone can give an answer...
Killing or using fish as bait - If you are plannning on keeping your catch - I understand
Using roe as bait - regardless of what you do with your catch - I understand
Killing or using fish as bait - and releasing your catch I do not understand
I especially did not understand it when people fished Ooligans in the Fraser when everyone knew their numbers were declining then turn around and use them for bait - then releasing thier catch (of a threqtened species)

Zpg

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »

Unless the fish are flash frozen to I think -60 there sure is the possibility of disease - not to humans but to the water to where you are using it.
Which brings me to something I do not understand and maybe someone can give an answer...
Killing or using fish as bait - If you are planning on keeping your catch - I understand
Using roe as bait - regardless of what you do with your catch - I understand
Killing or using fish as bait - and releasing your catch I do not understand
I especially did not understand it when people fished Hooligans in the Fraser when everyone knew their numbers were declining then turn around and use them for bait - then releasing their catch (of a threatened species)

The Fraser River Ooligan stock is in jeopardy but elsewhere, Alaska and Oregon they are fished commercially with sustainable stocks (providing the gov't continues to manage this right). That is why the available Ooligans available for sale here come from those areas. Because Sturgeon is catch and release here (and I would release even if it weren't) this should not dictate what is used for bait. I don't see what difference it makes.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »

Your potential savings could be offset by the high cost of gas driving down to Oregon.

I doubt it. Here's how it goes currently. A Guide from the Fraser Valley drives down, buys a lot of ooligans, brings them back and sells them to shops (he makes money), then the shops turn around sell them (and they make money), you buy them and use them. Eliminate the two middle men and you save yourself a ton of $$$, however, you have to buy enough to offset the gas costs. Personally I don't think that would be hard to do. You'd probably save $6 on every pack you buy, assuming it cost you $120 in gas there and back you only need to by 20 packs to break even.

warlo_527

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »

Keep us posted and mark me down as interested. Should've cleaned out Army and Navy when we had the 15% off deal for buying licences there!