Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt River Private Hydro Project  (Read 2887 times)

Zpg

Upper Pitt River Private Hydro Project
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »

Perhaps I've had my head in the sand, being too busy moving into my new house in Pitt Meadows and raising my 5 month old daughter to have heard what may be old news to many of you but I thought I would send out this post in case it is news to you.

I spend the long weekend fishing my favorite river, The Upper Pitt. It is a mostly pristine wilderness area with amazing fishing and yet so close to home. While watching Global news last evening I saw a feature outlining the provincial governments plan to privatize hydro production in BC. This includes approving a plan within 30 days by Run of River Power to "eco friendly" dam 7 feeder creeks that run into the Upper Pitt River.

Here is a link to their system & procedure: http://www.runofriverpower.com/uploads/files/pdf/newsletter_nov_%2029_2006.pdf

On the surface it seems like a thing most of might be able to live with. They divert water from high above fish habitat, run it through turbines and then release it into the main stream downriver.

My problem is that it is publically traded company and the only agenda is profit. What about years with very little snow like 2006. How much of the water will they "divert"? How will this affect the spawning fish that make one of the best and most diverse rivers what it is?

How about the huge machinery being brought into the watershed? What is the short term and long term effect?

Why is the government allowing any distruction of our provincial park system, as at least 2 of these creeks are located within the boundaries of Garibaldi?

I realize our power demand as a Province is growing, but do we need to jeopardize such a jewel to achieve it?

The Upper Pitt River should, in my humble opinion be a classified water system. Jet boats should not be allowed beyond the 5km bridge and as in other classified waters, guiding should be controlled so we don't have 400hp super jets blazing through sensitive spawning channels.

That being said, damning 7 of the main feeder creeks, no bloody way >:( >:( >:( and especially not allowing private companies to do it. Has the govt not learned from the disaster left behind from private mining companies?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Upper Pitt River Private Hydro Project
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »

They also want to put a dump up there. Nothing is written in stone yet so lets keep our fingers crossed that none of this garbage takes place.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »

They also want to put a dump up there. Nothing is written in stone yet so lets keep our fingers crossed that none of this garbage takes place.

crossing fingers won't be enough to stop this idiocy I'm afraid  ;D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »

Privatization of natural resources is a world-wide problem.
BC government is pushing hard to privatize BC rivers, lakes and anything that can be used to make money that goes into private hands.
That's just normal. Those who have power and money, want more power and money.
Their reasoning is that if it's private and someone is making a profit out of it, they will be stimulated to keep it clean and functional.
Everyone skips over the fact that nature is most beautiful when it's left alone.
And then they wonder why the attendance at parks and recreational sites is down 70%.
Because every bloody place you go you have to pay something to someone.
I don't think my generation will see paying for fresh mountain air, but the next generation...no guarantees...